Mortgage payoff demand for Refi a house.?

Update:

Im trying to refi a house that the loan is in my Grandmothers name but she passed away a couple years ago. Im on the Deed of the house. We were joint tennants until she passed now its in my name only. About to close the refi but the title company needs a payoff amount from the current lender. They wont release it because the loan is in My grandmothers name. They won't give me info either without a will or

Update 2:

The current lender won't release anything until a probate letter from court..

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favourite answer

So hire a lawyer and get what you need.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Sorry, but with all the privacy stuff that the people you and I sent to Congress laid on us, it is very difficult for anyone but the account owner to obtain any information at all. They certainly could get this info out, but they then run the risk of being sued under the GLB Act provisions. I know in your case it is unlikely that your grandmother is going to sue them or anyone else, but that doesn't matter to the politicians because it is too common-sense.

So , I'm afraid you are going to have to wait to get whatever official documents you need to prove you can act on behalf of the estate.

• R P
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

The lende4r is correct. Your grandmother's estate must be probated. As long as you are named by the court as the executor of her estate, the lender will release the payoff info to you. That is the letter they were referring to.

Your probate attorney will be able to help you with all of that.

Source(s): FL landlord
  • LILL
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

You can't refi without paying off her loan. You will need to do what the lender requires.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 years ago

The lender is correct. The probate court will have to appoint an executor and he/she can request an estoppel letter.

• wg0z
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

"The current lender won't release anything until a probate letter from court"

Well, there it is. Time for probate.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.