Anonymous

Can you buy a car on ssi? I plan on having help from a VR person to help me with a PASS (plan to achieve self support with social security)?

I'm hoping to get a car so I can get a job and eventually get off of ssi. I am going to have a vocal rehabilitation person help me with pass with social security. It's a plan to achieve self support. That way I can have a better life for my daughter and I. also would be able to help my friends. I don't want to lease a car. I want to save for a brand new car out right with good gas mileage so I can afford gas while I drop my daughter off at a friends house and go to work and not have to worry about repairs. I don't want to get a used car. I want to get a car I don't have to worry about repairs while I'm am working to be able to get a job and can afford the gas. can't get a car loan as my income is to low. I need a car for a job as my town has no public transport. I need to be able to get a car to drop my 14 month old daughter off at a friends house when I go to school to become a nurse. Also I can start taking a couple classes online that would help towards becoming a nurse.

On SSI, you'll have no assets and no savings, but if you can find a very inexpensive car, you can have one.

Some places even have programs to provide free or low cost cars for people who want to get to work. Do some research on the Internet.

I hope you realize that in addition to paying for this car & paying for maintenance & repairs (do some research, even brand new cars sometimes need repairs) --- you will have to pay for auto insurance each & every month

the cost for auto insurance on a newer vehicle can be extremely expensive & you need to contact auto insurance carriers & get some estimates to give you an idea of what you can expect

You will probably find that overall you are better off with cheap used car that is in good shape & lowest level of auto insurance your state will allow than you are with new car & super expensive insurance (and if you buy a new car it would be insane to not have full coverage)

Help your friends... always nice to do but costs you money... gas, wear on tires, etc.... make sure you are getting them to pay you at least 40 cents per mile to help off-set the cost & do not let friends or family drive your car

• Why don't you read the answers you get? A PASS is exactly for this purpose. You need VR support to get SSA to approve your PASS so just do it.

• Judith

Just how many times are you going to ask this question? It's been asked and answered. And thoroughly at that.

no it hasn't bye