How to get someone to stop talking to me on Facebook?

My friend's friend added me on Facebook, and my friend messaged me like, 'accept him!' So I did, thinking nothing of it. Then she tells me he 'has a little crush' on me but honestly I'm really not interested. We've been chatting, and he's pretty boring and generic to chat to. I mean he's nice enough so I don't want to be rude about it, and I don't want to upset him because he's my friend's friend? What do I do?

I'm going to guess you are in high school still. Why don't you do the right thing and give him the time of day so he can get over his crush. Try to find out something about him and see if there's any common ground. Chances are you're going to see you two have nothing in common (which is what you're assuming) and you'll be able to say "I'm sorry, but after talking to you for a little while I've realized we really don't have anything in common. It's best to get close to people who you can share exciting news with, and neither of us are excited about the same things".

The thing is, if you don't give him the time of day, he's going to not see WHY it isn't going to work. You clearly have a need for something he can't give, but maybe he's never experienced it and that's why he can't relate. Could you include him on something and see if you two get along after he's had a day in your life?

If you just want an out, block him. If you block him then there will be no awkwardness. Or you can tell your friend your situation and have her break the news. Either way, easy way outs suck far worse than what I suggested.

Just don't pay too much attention to him and let him think you may be interested in him. Maybe bring your boyfriend, if you have one, into the conversation at times so this guy decides for himself that you are committed to another person at this time. Hopefully he'll lose interest if he knows you have a boyfriend already. That should let him down easily if you don't talk with him daily.

You can select which friends see you when you're connected on facebook's chat. In Settings, click Advanced and the "Turn on chat for only somefriends"

• Frank

Tell your friend to gently give him the message.

• George

Unfriend him, then he can't bother you any more.