How do ballerinas or gymnasts handle performing during a period?

I am writing a series in which the lead female is a teenaged ballerina/gymnast (she lives in a leotard!). Just on order to have some facts straight, I would like to know what sort of precautions or tricks might be used amongst real dancers or gymnasts who might have to perform under such potentially-compromising... show more I am writing a series in which the lead female is a teenaged ballerina/gymnast (she lives in a leotard!). Just on order to have some facts straight, I would like to know what sort of precautions or tricks might be used amongst real dancers or gymnasts who might have to perform under such potentially-compromising circumstances. Is it feasible to reschedule, using pills; or are there any less-conspicuous protection products; or are there other tricks real-life people use?

I am aware that in many case, younger teenaged athletes (especially gymnasts) have not even had a period yet when competing at ages 12-15. it happens. However the character in my novel series has had it.

Thanks to everyone to takes this in the spirit intended! :)