Did i get ripped off at the gas station?

So, my car was litterly on the red line for being empty, so i went to get some gas, i gave the guy 5 bucks, and he acted as if he was filling the tank up, its done, and i leave, then i glance at my gas meter, and it looks like it hasent moved, so i turn around, and tell the guy that no gas what put in, he tells me that he did, but that since i did such a small amount, it hasent shown up yet, so i decide to go to another station, and i do the same thing, this time when i leave the station my meter has moved up about 1-2 inches and its very noticable that i now have more gas, so im pissed, and i go back to other gas station, and the guy sticks with his story, and says that sometimes the meter moves up gradually as i drive, and doesent show up right away, my question is did i get ripeed off, or was the guy right?

Gas gauges aren't linear. The gauge represents more at the tank bottom near E, for people like you that let it get right to empty. (ie, the distance from E-1/4 represents less gas than 3/4-F does) So, a gallon of gas (which is all you got) near empty is only going to move the needle a little. A gallon of gas put in later will move the needle more.

You should also get out a ruler and see how much 2" is. I doubt your gauge moved that far on the 2nd gallon of gas.

• xyzzy

Say the $5 got you a gallon and a half of gas. Spread that over the bottom of 10 -12 gallon tank and you have not moved the float at all or so little it would not appear to move the gauge. Then you doubled the amount of gas in the tank and are surprised the gauge moved?

• Frank

It's possible a gallon and a half of gas won't move the needle much off of empty, where three gallons would show a bigger difference. Gas tank gauges aren't really all that linear.

Where do you live where someone pumps the gas for you?

Because of the gas rates...which could be $3.70 a gallon (depending upon where you live)...you would not get much gas for $5. and the needle will hardly move. You are talking about a little over 3 gallons for a total of $15.

Tip for the future.....never go to a full serve gas station. Period. The whole principle is so dumb nowadays. Just get your butt out of the vehicle and pump it yourself. If you hand a guy cash, there is no way to prove he did the service. I don't trust people for certain things. I never leave a tip on a restaurant table, either. I dont care if I have to wait 10 or 15 min, I am putting the tip in my waiter's hand.

• Alan

$5 is probably a little more than a gallon depending where you are. If your tank was almost empty, it is possible that one gallon would not effect your fuel gauge in a noticeable manner...but two gallons could, which is why you saw a difference at gas station number two. Or it is possible he ripped you off....but seems pretty risky thing to do over $5.

$5 only buys about a gallon and 1/3, not surprised the needle didn't move.

the guy was right. especially at the top and bottom of the gauge, 1.5 gallons of fuel will hardy move the indicator.

Source(s): i'm from Detroit -- we fixed up cars when I was in my teens for fun
  • .

I'd like to know where you found someone to pump gas for you.

the guy a is right. $5 of gas will barely budge the indicator, if at all.