Can my vehicle tow this safely?

2013 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

towing a Rockwood 1940 LTD tent trailer

Shipped weight (assumed dry weight) 1493 lbs

GVWR 2255 lbs

Tongue weight 174 lbs

I'am likely to go with a class II hitch since the CX-5 can only pull 2000 lbs anyway. Realizing that the Total trailer weight (Dry weight plus total cargo capacity) exceeds the maximum tow rating of my vehicle I don't plan on storing tons of stuff in the trailer. Not even close to the allotted 650 + lbs.

So if the total thing weight say 1800 lbs am I going to have problems towing it with this vehicle?

Towing Capacity Of Mazda Cx 5

• JetDoc

The trailer EMPTY weight is just exactly that... Totally empty. That includes empty propane tanks and water holding tank. It would be VERY easy to add on extra weight and exceed your 2000 lb. towing capacity. You also need to be mindful of the total weight you load into the car... including the weight of driver and passengers, so you don't exceed the total weight capacity of your vehicle.

If you keep all this in mind, and use some common sense, you should be OK for weekend trips and flatland vacations. I'd be VERY careful if you want to tow your camper up into the mountains.

there are fines and possible charges for being over loaded