Employment hours and childcare issues?

Hi, for the past 10 years I have been in employment as a lorry driver. The post is basically job and finish with starting hours between 1 am and 6 am with a finish generally between 11 am and 3pm on the odd occasion and at busy periods a little later.

5 years ago I had a child and now he is in school and needs picking up at around 3.20. We both work. Myself the hours above and partner 9 til 5.

So, the dropping off to school is done by her and I do the pick up.

Recently our company has been taken over and even though the work has not changed the new company are hopeless and I can spend up to 5 hours a day waiting for something ridiculous. I understand its part of the job and expect it at busy periods however, it's all the time now and causing serious problems in picking up my son.

Is there anything from an employers point of view that they must conform too, with regards of childcare issues? Where exactly do I stand on strategies to approach this.

I've spoken to supervisor/management who help when they can. But this is getting day in day out. 12-15 hour days for 8 hours worth of work.

There's probably nothing that can be done but it's always worth an ask. Maybe there's some loophole or unknown law that could help me.

Probably end in change of job but trying to avoid it.

Thanks all.

• ?

I am guessing that you are UK based?

Our employment law is not very child friendly so there is not much legal recourse here. I know it is not a brilliant solution, but does the school run an "After School Club"? Our local primary does, but it costs and you have to book a whole term or something. but at least your kid would be safe.

Next point: Shouldn't you be paid for waiting time? Its not your fault if you are delayed - speak to your union rep.

ALTERNATIVELY: Is there a way to avoid the waiting time? Perhaps you could suggest a solution and look like a bright spark?

Sorry can't be more help

Source(s): I work in the same industry

I'm not sure about the UK, but in the US, managers are under no obligation to accommodate school or child care schedules. Can you use an after school program, hire a babysitter (child minder), or have a friend or relative pick your child up from school?

• Jan409

There are after school clubs for people like you, and there are also registered childminders

who offer after school care

An employer has no responsibility regarding your childcare issues

Often a family member or neighbour will help out if you ask nicely and pay them something too

Source(s): uk