Is it common to receive a cash settlement for a car accident in Massachusetts?

About three months ago, I was a passenger is a car accident caused by a drunk driver. We were hit from behind, the car was totaled, and the driver who hit us was arrested. I was advised to seek legal help, because I suffered from back and neck pain. I went to physical therapy about 20 or so times, and I just... show more About three months ago, I was a passenger is a car accident caused by a drunk driver. We were hit from behind, the car was totaled, and the driver who hit us was arrested. I was advised to seek legal help, because I suffered from back and neck pain. I went to physical therapy about 20 or so times, and I just completed treatment. I was wondering what the process is like from this point, I know the medical records need to be obtained, and the case is presented. Are cash settlements common, or do they just pay for your medical bills? What are the typical amounts? Any information is helpful.