What are the reasons for some Scottish people wanting Scottish Independence?

As someone in England almost unexposed to the support for an Independent Scotland, I genuinely want to know some first-hand political reasons for it (and I'm also crazy about a boy living in Scotland who supports it so I guess that kind of heightens my interest...).

Because most countries in the world are independent - it's the normal way to be.

With independence they will always get the government that THEY vote for.

They can stop unfair policies being imposed on them like the Bedroom Tax.

They will raise and spend their own money however they see fit.

They won't be forced to keep nuclear weapons they don't want.

They won't be dragged into more illegal wars against their will.

They can stop services being privatized, like the NHS.

They can set up their own broadcasting corporation.

No more Westminster spending cuts.

No more Tory Governments. :-)

The nationalists have lack of intelligence and/or can't see the real agenda due to anti-English bigotry. What Alex Salmond is offering is for Scotland to become a small vassal state within the European Union which no sane person would class as independence. The word 'independence' should be dropped from the campaign because it is false advertisement. Salmond has been exposed as a snake oil salesman who works for the EU dictatorship. If Mr Salmond succeeds he will personally make millions of pounds (EU reward money) at the expense of everyone.

I've read all the arguments "FOR" Scottish independence, and they all boil down to two things: "The British are Filthy Bastards", and "Keep Scottish Oil Wealth in Scotland", which is directly related to the first one. Make of that what you will.

Firstly, it is a lot more than some people who want to see the country regain its independence.

It means we will get the government we vote for rather than have one we don't want.

It means no longer having W.M.D.s in our waters.

It means we won't get dragged into wars against the will of the people.

It means having a voice on the international stage.

It means self-respect.

• ?

I don't. I support Scotland continuing to be part of the UK. I've seen the arguments for independence and they just don't convince me. What I find alarming is that some people try to turn this debate into a "Scotland vs England" issue when that's not what this is about.

North Sea oil peaked some 15 years ago and is now in decline where as the oil and gas reserves which lie off the Falkland's have yet to be tapped.

The future wealth of this country. UK lies off the Falkland's plus what if the Shetland's vote to sever with mainland Scotland?

An independent Scotland is not as wealthy as some people in Scotland imagine.