Why do I suck at soccer when I play at a higher level?

So first of all I have been playing soccer since I was 4 (I'm 16 now). and I am actually really skilled at every aspect of the game, I can play every position extremely well. But the problem is I'm only good when I play for fun or with my friends or family or something, I'm always the one dominating the field and I have received many compliments from friends and family including my uncle who is a professional player, and I actually believe I have a chance at becoming a great player. But whenever I take my game to a higher level including just normal indoor house league during the winter I feel that I completely Suck, when I'm playing I make bad decisions, I lose the ball and I just generally perform horribly. I also don't think my poor performance is due to nervousness, because I feel fine when I play I'm relaxed and "In The Zone" as the say. I just want to know whats wrong with me and why I can't perform at my usual level when I play competitive soccer and how I can fix this problem which is really costing me a lot, like so far I haven't made a single soccer team at school for 3 years I tried out, and after watching all those other guys I am sure I'm better then them.

Nothing beats match experience, get some matches under your belt, even if it's at a lower level and build up from there. I've seen players look sensational in the park, and even in training sessions, yet out on the pitch like you said they make bad decisions - when your playing at a high level, the tempo is fast and so decisions needs to be instantaneous and natural, that is why experience is a must.

As far as making a team in concerned, be vocal, get yourself noticed. Bad players get in ahead of better players because they make themselves heard by organizing the midfield/defence.

Competitive games are so much different to casual games, it's all about mentality. Also, stick to one position for now, master it. Know the spaces to move into and the passes to distribute off by heart, you don't want to be the guy that has to fill in all the open positions, pick the one you are best at and stick to it. Experience won't do you much good if you're at RB one day and CM the next, you'll learn one thing and forget the other. You learn best by repetition and consistency.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck

It may be more of a physical limitation. When you get into competitive games the speed of play increases. Maybe work out on your explosiveness. Try http://90strong.com/soccer-training/speed-power-an... they have a ton of drills and exercises to help you out

Source(s): 6 years in the pros

You probably need more experience with a soccer team try joining one and learn how to play well with your team mates.