What reasons can I give for leaving work?

I work as a Sales Assistant part-time for a well-known retail company. I worked there for a year and then left to go to uni. But, since returning from uni, my manager has been awful to me.

Extremely unprofessional, it started with him bitching about me on a personal level to my fellow colleagues.

It just went from there, because he knew he could get away with it - I won't say anything back to someone in authority who I am accountable to, as I like to stay professional.

However, the disastrous job he does in fulfilling his job title meant health & safety regulations are at an all time low and, recently, I was lifting a heavy object which I didn't know was loose and it came flying at me, hitting me in the mouth and knocking out parts of my teeth.

I've now had enough of the place, and don't know the most professional or appropriate way to resign?

Please help.

Aww, what lovely responses. I am claiming the cost for it, and I'm also trying to take the legal matter of the work-related injury further.

However, because I am resigning to my boss, I would still like to stay professional, and would like to find a legitimate reason to add on the resignation letter?

Don't worry you have the BEST reason to leave so say so, #1 .Manger extremely unprofessional # 2.Health & Safety are LOW ! You should have reported this to HR. Nothing else need be said unless you want them to pay your Dentist !!

• Ted C

You never have to give a reason - even if they ask for one. Just hand in a note saying you intend leaving the company's employent, giving the date, and leave it at that, unless you want to sue for the cost of repairs to your teeth, in which case you need to get in touch with the Health & Safety Executive and report the accident.

Just give a 2-weeks notice that you are quitting ! You do not have to qualify it, or justify it ! They're loss ! Good luck !

• Tavy

You don't have to give any reasons, none of my employees ever did, they just said the job was not for them.

I was not interested in their reasons for leaving, and I doubt if your employer will be either.

UK

Source(s): Rtd Business Owner

You can say, decided to change career field, or decided to go back to uni to further my education. Sorry about your teeth :(