I'm 17 and is it weird to drive a 1973 chevy monte carlo to high school?

Because I am biggest fan of old school muscle cars

Not a good idea. High school parking lots are a lot like bumper car rinks - lots and lots of dings.My daughter was unhappy when the ancient (older than she was) Corolla got a broken taillight the second day she drove it to school.

Beyond that, you should not be driving such an expensive car. New drivers should have old cars, but old in the sense of being disposable. The odds are that you, as a new driver, have a 60% chance of crashing your car in the first year. It is not about being a good or bad driver; it is about the steep and unforgiving learning curve of driving in traffic. After three years of experience you will be ready for your Monte Carlo. You may even be ready for the cost of trying to keep an old car running. If you look on Rockauto.com for brake shoes you will see most of them are already in wholesaler closeout; 8 out of the ten for the 350 I looked at. All parts for a car that old are rare and expensive.

Do it!! My boyfriend had a 72 Monte when he was like 18 and believe me you will love the attention you get from it plus if it's what you like don't be ashamed!! If it's because you're embarrassed to drive it infront of a girl, there's girls who dig it! Maybe you'll find one :P and the guys will prolly want to take a ride in it too!

Source(s): Personal Experience

Im from the uk and the only thing we drove the school was a 50cc moped. The insurence over here is bad, i would love to drive a monte carlo to school, im paying £2000 per year for a vauxhall corsa b. think yourself lucky

Do it and you will look awesome lol forreal

• Beats walking or taking the bus, Paying for gas might make you wish you bought a econo bucket though, what's that thing get 14 MPG give or take?

If i was 17 years old i love to drive a Chevy Monte Carlo from the 1973. Some kids don't have money to drive a car and in the 70's that car was one of the most comfortable cars you could drive.

• LP700

No it's not weird. Some kid at my school as a rainbow color VW beetle named fagbug. It's gotta be the gayest car I have ever layed my eyes on. I'd rather drive a Pontiac Aztek than that turd.

• Bob L

With any luck, your luxo-cruiser has the 400 or 454 cubic inch engine. Your Monte was built on the same platform as the Malibu. The SS 454 Muscle Cars ended their run in 1972. '73 brought drastic reductions in horse power ratings, and front impact bumpers made the cars look "front-end heavy," but it'll still be a fun driver.

Enjoy it while you have it.

• bob

Technically, Monte Carlo isn't a muscle car, it is a personal luxury car. If it was a 1970, with a high performance big block, i might not argue that too hard. But no muscle cars were built after 1970. A muscle car is an intermediate body with a big car engine. A Monte Carlo is based on an intermediate, so it is kinda close, but it is heavier, weighing like a full size.

Driving it to school is not weird at all, there are more expensive cars in the parking lot. A friend had his 69 Roadrunner at work. Someone said"you shouldn't drive a car like that to work in the winter". He answered" that car was MADE to drive to work, and

cost less than yours."