Any writers need info on forensics?

I know that incorporating that into a story shouldn't rely on what you see on CSI and Cold Case, I've been looking around for actual GOOD info that's based in this world, not Hollywood and think I came across one that is worth sharing.

It's a free college course, done online, all about it.

https://www.coursera.org/course/ntufsc

Introduction to Forensic Science.

Anyone here take this before? I'm interested in hearing about what they cover in more detail.

Yahoo has a crime scene writers group, run by a retired CSI where you can post questions.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/crimescenewrit...

Source(s): member

well i haven't taken this exact course online however, I have taken " Introduction to forensic science" While completing my criminology program in cegep (which is essentially college in quebec). The course included elements from three different sectors of forensic science including: Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The topics we covered are all basics in these three domains and are as follows:

DNA fingerprinting

• Entomology

• Blood Typing and Blood Splatter patterns

• Analytical techniques used to identify hair, fibers and paint to determine a probability match

• Toxicology

• Identification of Organic and Inorganic Compounds

• Optical Principles of various microscopes

• Spectral Analysis and Voice-prints

• Skidmarks, Ballistics, and Collision Analysis

• Bayesian Statistics and Likelihood Ratios

• Amber

I am a Forensic Scientist, more accurately I'm a Forensic Psychologist. Learning Forensics requires lab based work and no online course will teach you enough. For writing alone, maybe. But be wary of those online courses, sometimes they drum out rubbish that is incorrect information.

Lestermount

Question?