Senior Citizens, what radio shows did you listen to regularly?

I remember Don McNeill's Breakfast Club for one. Which one or others come to mind?

Amoa & Andy, Lum & Abner and Mr. Keen Tracer of Lost Persons are a few of many.

Alas, I only remember them from listening on old LP records. I listened to a good deal of The Shadow, The Lone Ranger, and many of the comedies: Fibber McGee and Molly, Burns and Allen, Jack Benny and Fred Allen. I've heard The War of the Worlds in its entirety, and I find it hard to believe that people actually got taken in by it. I mean, there were commercial ads, for crying out loud. Of course, people who tuned into the middle of it might have been fooled, but surely not for long. I think Fred Allen would be quite at home today and would fit into the comedy scene quite nicely! Here's a short treat for anyone who wants to listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6j7l4_VlqU

Youtube thumbnail

I was an early and hard-core fan of Garrison Keillor's "A Prairie Home Companion"--since around 1980--introduced to the show by my girlfriend at the time, a divinity student from Tennessee. She and Keillor both made Christianity seem almost like a good idea to me.

I wish I could find a short YouTube clip of one of his "That's the News" bits, or a commercial for Powdermilk Biscuits, or Garrison singing "Hello, Love," but--incredibly--there are not a lot of short clips of him available. It's such a scandal. He is an American legend, and clearly the greatest radio entertainer in the history of the medium, and yet, many Americans have no idea who he is.

This is the only short thing I could find. I'm afraid it doesn't do justice to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRIWQGVL6EI

Youtube thumbnail

• Mark

I got there at the tail end of em, there was Gunsmoke, with that actor who played Cannon or Canon he was Matt Dillon

there was the Inner Sanctum and One Step Beyond there was the LONE RANGER that was the main one possibly there was one called DRAGNET

there were a few more but I cant remember em. but the ones I listed I listened to regularly

I remember Let's Pretend and Lux Theater.

• Betty

AWWWWW I feel left out of this group...i know all these shows you are talking about...but I haven't gained the age status yet...but love to read the posts you guys!!!!

• sandie

inner sanctum, the creaking door. I had a radio in my room. the tv was in the den.

WRPS in which they has world news and commentaries from experts.

christian radio stations with biblical verses

world news today.com

ALL THINGS CONMSIDERED'', My favorite !!

Source(s): radio shows and broardcasts.

I only remember the ones when I was a kid. Kookla, Fran and Ollie,

Jump Jump, Beanie and Cecil the seasick sea serpent.

The Shadow, Dick Tracy, Joe Palooka etc.

(((RB)))) brought back such memories. thanks

Source(s): Camille - loved the jump jump show when I was a little girl.