Is it easier to become an actor or a writer?

I am at a cross roads career wise.

I have just finished a writing course and I am about to finish a short acting course.

I want to be very successful at whichever one I pick.

Statistically, do I have more chance making it as a writer or as an actress?

I am currently in the middle of writing a novel, but would it be worth concentrating more on acting?

I love them both equally, but I need to focus on one in order to carve out some sort of career for myself.

Both are as difficult as one another. The world is full of people wanting to do either. Even supposing you get to the point of having a book published, or getting an acting job, it doesn't mean you'll earn enough to make a living, or will have a career for life. Millions of books are printed each year, but only a small handful become best sellers. Millions of hours of theatre, TV and film are produced every year but only 2% of professional actors are working at any one time, and it may be that they only work for those few days or weeks all year. Those who work in either career usually do so while having other jobs and it is their passion and determination that sees them through, though many will still never make it their living in their whole life, nor be around still doing the same job in ten years time. It's not a question of choosing the easiest or mathematically most likely object - that's a sure way to fail in careers that require different mentalities. If you want an easy life, go and train for a career where you can be sure of a job - the world will always need more cab drivers than actors or writers. Ditto plumbers, doctors, construction workers, even estate agents, etc.

Hello! :) I'm actually an actor and a writer myself. I'm not really sure which one I'd like to pursue either. Ha ha. Anyhow, I'll answer your question:

Not to sound like a wise-guy, but anyone, I mean anyone can be an actor or a writer. Anyone can be in the school musical, or write their own short story at home. But to be a successful actor or writer, and make a living off of it is very difficult. It is very, very, very difficult to become published. You have to be an excellent writer, and be at the right place at the right time (I don't believe in luck, ha ha).

To get work as an actor is pretty easy. Though, the difficulty of getting work as an actor increases by age. For instance, if you have a 6 month old baby boy, and he's pretty cute, not super cute and you sent a photo of him out to a talent agency, he would most likely get signed as a client as there are not many babies in the entertainment industry. Plus, babies don't really need any experience to be booked or signed. BUT if you're an adult and send your headshot and résumé, casting directors and agents expect you to have years of experience, and a lot of training. And even then, most actors don't get much work each year. Now of course there are those occasions where an actor with no training and no experience become successful.

Please, please, please don't be discouraged by me or any of the answerers' answers!!! True, it is rather unlikely for anyone (notice that I didn't say you specifically) to become a successful actor or writer, BUT that small percentage could include you! You never know unless you try! :) Break a leg.

Source(s): I'm an actor, singer, musician, and writer.
  • Cogito

Both are almost impossible to make a living from - almost all writers and actors have to work an ordinary job 40 hours a week and act or write in their free time.

Getting published is extremely difficult, and will only happen if you're very good, very lucky and happen to write the genre of novel which is selling well at the time.

Getting into acting takes huge talent, many years of training and gaining experience, and even then, the best that most actors ever get is about 2 or 3 weeks' paid work a year.

If you're looking for a career at which you could afford to pay rent, bills, food, etc, neither writing nor acting are good choices.

• ?

You need to focus on the one others think you do best, are you a good writer, and can you get across what you wish to say, also what type of writer, you say you have finished a writing course, but what type of writing, if it was a creative writing course join the 10 million others in the UK who seem to have done the same and been told how good they are.

I went on one and realised although useful for looking at what i had written was of no use in writing good prose, and keeping the reader gripped to the page.

However I have the knack for that anyway.

But getting published is a whole new ballgame.

How good are you at remembering lines, how good are you at putting across false emotion and getting people to believe you.

And then you can join the queue of 10 million others who wish to become Actors darling.

Look at doing both, put time aside for writing, and then get on with your auditions, if you put 40 hours into each per week, you will still be working less hours than I did running a high street shop.

• bnk01

These are both demanding jobs that require you dedicate hours, months, years of hard work to make them happen. The one you should choose is the one that you will be willing to slave away at, despite lots of rejection, despite tbs of people telling you it's impossible... The one that you will succeed at is the one that you cannot imagine not doing.

You can try doing both for now while you discover which one (or what other thing entirely) is your life's passion.

Personally i think that its easier being an actor, anyway if you'd choose actor you can write when you have free time :D ;p

Why don't you combine the two and become a script writer or something similar?

Listen Dixie just do both. write your own stuff for your acting. easy as pie for a novelist.

Their both difficult, but I think it'd be easier to become an actor.. But it also depends on your talent :)