Summer Home by Seamus Heaney?

My coursework for English this year is a comparison of two Heaney poems and two Duffy poems, linked to the theme of Shame.

I have been given 'Summer Home' as one of my poems, it is an interesting poem but I am struggling to understand it and how to link it to shame.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful!!

Favorite Answer

The poem ‘Summer Home’ by Seamus Heaney is an exposé of Heaney and his wife’s difficulties. From the foulness of the atmosphere, brought out by the larval mat, “possessed air” and the sour summer, to the metaphor of his wife’s breasts (“Stalactites in the cave’s old, dripping dark-”), Heaney attempts to show his love for his wife and how much he wants his marriage to work.......

@ Learn more

http://www.studymode.com/essays/Summer-Home-Commen...

Also

http://www.linkagenet.com/reviews/heaneypoemcritic...

• ?

The poem is about difficulties that heaney and his wife are having, which could be described by an onlooker as a 'shame'(!) From the foulness of the atmosphere, brought out by the larval mat, “possessed air” and the sour summer, to the metaphor of his wife’s breasts (“Stalactites in the cave’s old, dripping dark-”), Heaney attempts to show his love for his wife and how much he wants his marriage to work. The poem uses very sensual imagery of flowers and reference to the church in connection to marriage and sex. As well as the imagery, the structure is poem is inconsistent, ranging from couplets to quatrains and, in the second part, cinquain. Finally, there is also a sense of imperfection, which the author feels and can be seen in light with two of his famous poems – Blackberry-Picking and Death of a Naturalist. So I would link this poem with the word 'shame' but not in something to be shameful of, but that it is a shame that Heaney's marriage is not perfection but what marriage is perfect?!