promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 6 years ago

Is Mars One mission a hoax?

I mean this:

Rhawn Joseph who in 2010 developed and published the marketing, name branding, astronaut selection and reality TV programs for funding a human mission to Mars[6], and who then led a lobbying campaign to implement it, has referred to the Mars One Group as "a Fraud and a Scam--They have no space craft, no space-port, no launching facilities--its a scam and a hoax.

Update:

@Paul yes they will have fame, they will be known as the idiots who spent years training for a mission to Mars that everyone else knew was not real.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • spot a
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

They have raised $206 055 as at December 31st 2013. The "Donate" site below shows the amounts collected from various countries.

The TEAM are having a great time flying around the world and giving presentations, no doubt funded by the donations and merchandise sales

You could buy a coffee mug or a T-shirt in the hope that it will become a collector's item after they fold and sink into oblivion.

The probability of a manned Mars One mission is near zero. They seem to have removed the dates from their website

A 7 month trip, for 4 people, plus food for a year at 3 hamburgers per day per person = 6840 burgers. Do you want fries and a drink with that? How about a few rolls of toilet paper? Oh yeah, do you want some oxygen too? Oxygen bottles are really heavy.

There is not enough air on Mars to allow parachutes to work for heavy vehicles so extra fuel has to be hauled out of the gravity well of Earth for the retro rocket landing of an untested vehicle on Mars.

The robot landers going to Mars have had a high failure rate.

The first people from Mars One are supposed to land in 2024, This date is not easily seen on their website but is in Wiki. Since their crafts are not yet tested, this is very unlikely to happen. Perhaps the people in Mars One are related to Moller of Skycar fame.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

These people are a media group with a great deal of skills in publicity so I believe they are going to make a fairly compelling reality TV show which should last for the duration of the astronaut training. I think they'll also make a lot of money for the producers and the successful candidates will have the opportunity to capitalize on their fame and the most successful candidates will launch their career from this platform. So in that respect it's not really a scam as the contestants will be getting something for their time and money but I'm almost certain they will not be going to Mars.

Now as for whether or not it's a hoax I think depends on whether the people who organised Mars One ever believed they might have a chance of pulling it off.

Just to be clear even though Mars One is a non-profit organisation that is the famous brand, the money goes to IMG (Interplanetary Media Group) which is a for profit organisation.

Update:

I see they're already in trouble. They were making a big deal in late 2012 to have the first people on Mars by 2023, now I see they're not going to get anyone to Mars until 2025.

Mars One will settle men on Mars in 2023

Dutch company reveales plans to organize a manned mission to Mars

AMERSFOORT, THE NETHERLANDS, 31 May 2012 – Today Mars One announced its plan to establish a human settlement on Mars in 2023.

---

Human Settlement on Mars

Mars One will establish a permanent human settlement on Mars. Crews of four will depart every two years, starting in 2024.

• 6 years ago

Yes, it is a hoax.

The purpose may be different for each person involved and for some, it may not have been a scam.

But a manned trip to Mars is presently impossible no matter how much money is thrown at the project. The technology does not yet exist.

We can successfully send unmanned small probes to Mars because:

~Light weight probes can be accelerated with limited fuel.

~The travel time does not matter. Long duration slingshot maneuvers may be used. These reduce fuel consumption but extend the one way nine month trip to several years.

~Shielding from deadly cosmic rays is of limited concern.

~There would be no humans aboard that need constant food, water, pressure, oxygen, heat, medical care, recreation, exercise, cleaning etc. – and equipment for each.

~No fuel would be needed to lift off from Mars when the mission is completed.

~No fuel would be needed for a return trip; they do not return.

~If any of the thousands of vital ship functions fail, no life would be lost. The risk is therefore acceptable.

. .

• 5 years ago

To do the mission properly, you will need a seriously big space ship. You will need food production facilities. Air and water recycling facilities. Sewage processing and recycling facilities and that's just for the six month journey there. It will cost many times the Apollo program. It is therefore either a hoax or very badly thought through.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 years ago

It's not a "hoax". But it has absolutely zero chance of ever getting off the ground.

• 6 years ago

I doubt it's so much a hoax as it is optimistic and ill-conceived, and will probably never hit its funding objectives and will end up bankrupt.

• 5 years ago

I'll conceived, ill planned, ill informed, ill funded,

• 6 years ago

An ill-fated idea until we have the knowledge and equipment and experience.:-)

• someg
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

Ha! Apollo was a hoax!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.