Angela
Angela asked in PetsFish · 6 years ago

Goldfish Scales missing and having like lesions on skin? :(?

My big Fat Female Goldfish keeps on having scabbing scales. i have nothing in the tank except white sand as substrate and some plants.

All water parameters are good. Tank is suitable and I have 3 times filtration needed for the 55g tank. She is just missing scales here and there all the time. It looks white with a red mark in the middle.

I did a fluke treatment not too long ago.

I feed them the best diet that I can (working on a new gel food). I wonder why she is constantly loosing some scales; not a lo of them, but some here and there.

• Robert
    Favorite Answer

Honestly, if there is no substantial ammonia or parasites present, it can'r scrape itself or fight, there is no obvious reason. See Aquaria Central (Archive) "Goldfish Losing Scales". Some think it is just a reaction to water, slight pH and temperature changes.

Source(s): Robert Price, Ph.d, Ichthyology, Board of directors, Brooklyn Aquarium Society.