Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

how much does it cost to repair / replace the turbo on a bmw 120d se?

I have a BMW 120d 2 litre 2005 model. Has done 138 k but I have serviced it religiously and regularly (and mind you that is not cheap). It has started making a high pitched whining noise when i accelerate. The BMW garage says the turbo needs replacing and have quoted roughly 1800 to replace it which I think is too much. The clutch is also apparently wearing out. I am not even sure if it is worth fixing it. I am disappointed and frustrated because I thought these cars were good for 200 k before major repairs.

Any advice is welcome.

Perhaps BMW ~ having a lot more money than you ~ do not think replacing a turbo is a major repair.

You can get turbo's rebuilt and can get new cores for them. All at a heck of a lot less than 1800 quid.

You might also consider a s/h turbo from an accident write off car, sure it would not last as long as a new turbo but then you could buy a dozen for the price of a new BMW one. There are also specialist after market companies selling refurbished turbo's. When you have an 8 year old BMW you don't go to BMW Garages !

Bmw 320d Turbo Replacement Cost

First, what is the brand. i work at Home Depot in the appliance section and deal alot with that same question. If its Kenmore or a GE, i say replace it. With it being 3 1/2 years old, it shouldn't be breaking. If it breaks once this early, it will break again. I would definitly check the dryer vent and make sure it is clean. Other than that, i wouldn't even bother trying to repair it other than swapping out the heat element if you have a feeling that that is the problem. I don't know what that guy was talking about an "energy-efficient dryer". Those do not exist, especially for $200. There is no dryer available that has an energy star rating. Dryers are on 220 plugs and will always be energy hogs. You can pick up a decent dryer for about $349 to $499. Just make sure it is at least 7.0cu ft, and is direct drive. You will never go wrong, and I recommend a Maytag MED5770TQ. Don't ever buy GE unless your buying a refridgerator. I say replace it, unless you can't afford it.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I have a BMW 120d 2 litre 2005 model. Has done 138 k but I have serviced it religiously and regularly (and mind you that is not cheap). It has started making a high pitched whining noise when i accelerate. The BMW garage says the turbo needs replacing and have quoted roughly 1800 to replace it...

Source(s): cost repair replace turbo bmw 120d se: https://shortly.im/vgBhD

First try people like turbo Technics etc they will establish the cause of failure and rebuild the turbo for you. A whistling could just be a faulty wastegate.

A common reason for premature turbo failure is when you have been driving you need to let the engine idle for a minute or two before shutting down to allow the turbo to cool and spin down.

If you do not do this then you are risking turbo damage.

Clutch going is down the how it is driven.

There are lots of good independent BMW specialists out there.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax5JB

Depends on what is broken. If you know a handy person, it's cheaper to buy the parts (most of the time) and just have them do it. You can get dryer parts at places like Sears or a local repair shop. The glow and burning smell could be an accumulation of burning lint from the fact that your dryer is not running smoothly. The squeak is probably due to an out of position drum roller or a slipped belt. Dryer mechanics are pretty simple to understand once you are able to open up the dryer. Call someone for an estimate if you don't know a handman personally. He/she should be able to tell you if it's worth getting fixed or buying a new dryer.

I have no doubt whatsoever that a BMW garage would quote that price.

Sorry to hear you have been fooled by BMWs undeserved reputation for longevity

Good news is that a used part fitted by an independent garage will cost you a whole lot less - probably as little as £400 but you will have to maybe source the part yourself and find an independent that will fit it locally for you.

• ?

Try an independent garage. You should get a significantly better price.

This is an example of why you should not believe the stupid people who say that 'mileage doesn't matter', as long as a car is serviced. There are an awful lot of people who think this, but it is complete rubbish, as you have found out. Mileage matters A LOT. Vehicle components wear out in proportion to use. The higher the miles, the higher the wear. There is no escaping this, and there is no 'magic' exemption from this law because of the badge on the front of the car. 130K miles, is still a lot of miles, and a lot of wear.

Hi so now you know why we say they are a money pit.

this low end model is only good for lots of mileage if you have deep pockets and can afford to buy the extended warranty.that is how they manage to last and it's owner not suffer so badly.

expecting any car to do over 100k without expenditure is really asking too much.