What makes some think that women (or men) were forced into their gender roles during the course of history?

I saw a claim in recent answer stating that:
"Because that is the role they were usually forced into by the much stronger male population."

Except for the last two centuries, was there ever in the recorded history any indication that women (or men) were unsatisfied with their "gender roles"?
Update: @Granny Tea
You do realize that much of that choice you are talking about is a result of the modern society.
During the middle ages the choice a woman had was either to take care of the house and kids or to work (very) hard in the fields. Are you calming that many women would have chosen the later?
Update 2: @Granny Tea I believe your idea about life before modern era is very "idyllic" . You don't seam to realize that people were struggling to survive. The simple fact of staying alive could not have been taken for granted. "choose not to get married or have kids or even work in the fileds if he... show more @Granny Tea
I believe your idea about life before modern era is very "idyllic" . You don't seam to realize that people were struggling to survive. The simple fact of staying alive could not have been taken for granted.

"choose not to get married or have kids or even work in the fileds if he didn't want to" ......
On what planet's history was this possible?
Update 3: @Granny Tea
In almost all the societies before the modern era the vast majority of people worked in agriculture.
5 answers 5