Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 7 years ago

Im pregnant and want to keep the baby but the dad dont want to, what should i do? im only 16 and im fostered?

It really is your own choice, and, regardless of what other people may tell you, your age REALLY doesn't define the type of parent you'll be. I can't tell you whether you should keep your baby or not, however I can tell you that being a parent is hard at any age, especially as a single parent. Nevertheless I know plenty of teenage mothers (myself included) who have done wonderful jobs as parents, and have defied the odds by becoming successful educationally and in careers too. Some as single parents, some in couples.

What I wouldn't do in your situation is spend too much time reading other people's opinions. You'll have a load of bigots calling you names and you'll only end up upset. The decision is yours and no one else's.

Good luck to you!

Source(s): Former teenage mother, work with pregnant teens and teen parents

You have to think about the future not the now. You can want children all your life, but there are questions you need to ask yourself: can you afford to buy the child diapers ($30 for 120 pack), formula ($20 a week a least), wipes ($20 3 packs), clothing ($15 an outfit), plus bibs and food, not to mention a crib ($150 on CL with mattress), highchair ($30 used), swing ($80 used). That's the first question now if somehow you can afford all that and your parent's support you...question 2: are you going to be able to go to school, raise a child AND have a normal teenage life? no, the answer is no if you are a good mother you will go to school come home do homework and stay home from parties to be with your child. Now if you are ok with no life at that young of an age question 3: Are you going to be able to raise a child as a single mother and not go from man to man? While the child is growing up if you go from partner to partner the child is going to learn your habits and repeat your mistakes.

Ultimately it is your choice, but from a 22 year old married mom of a 2 year old I think I had a child too soon. I never went out and partied while growing up because of my strict family. Would I take it back no, my son is the most wonderful thing. But please take time to think and talk about this with your parents and close friends. I just hate to hear about young mothers not playing the mother role to go party, and I hate to hear that someone had a child too young and had no chance to live their life a little. All my single friends are in college partying having the time of their lives and I am at home with my son and husband not drinking a lick.

Keep that child, and love it without bounds. A child should never be separated from their mother unless it is unavoidable. Plenty of young mothers have been successful, defying everything said against them. That child is one who will give you love with no other reason then that you are his/her mother and who would want to pass up on love? Your Dad really has no right to deny you that. It is your choice, no one else's. Remember is better to have loved and lost rather than not to have loved at all. Tough times may come and go, but if your child and you make it through together, you will be able to look at that baby and know that it was worth it for that little life.

Sara is right. Do what you feel is best and do it the best you can. :)

Good luck sweetie xx