Can I legally use a human propelled push scooter on road and pavement as well?

Hi,

I recently bought a human propelled push scooter that I love quite much as it is almost 3x faster than walking fast and as it folds to quite small size I can easily bring it with me into shops, post office, on board of train etc. with the carrier strap that came with it. I use it a lot in town and for commuting. It is a "large wheeled" (175mm dia wheels) adult size push scooter. I fitted a number of hi vis reflective tape patches and two headlights onto it, a 400 lumen flashing one and a 800 lumen continuous light plus I put on a red "rear flashing light" on my arm with a strap and high vis coat/backpack when using it at night - so I guess I am quite visible.

Now, my question is regarding the law (rather than safety aspects), as I could not really find anything about human propelled push scooters. So:

- Is it legal to use a push scooter on road? (By "road" I mean roads in town, that have 30mph speed limit, a few of them 20mph limit. Almost all of the relatively low traffic "housing estates" roads. I do not try to scooter on high traffic main roads, even if they have 30mph limit.)

- Is it legal to use a push scooter on bicycle road / in bicycle lane?

- Is it legal to use a push scooter on pavement?

- Is it legal to use a push scooter in pedestrian only areas (e.g. shopping streets, parks etc.)

So, with other words, if I do these activities and a policeman sees me, am I okay, or can I be fined?

Thank you

I'm in Cambridgeshire.

I use my scooter approx 50% on bicycle road / in bicycle lane, 30% on low traffic road, and 20% on pavement. Problem is that at some places pavements are in such bad shape (surfaces are so uneven/broken) that even with a 200mm dia wheeled scooter they shake your guts out... Not to mention tiled pavements (with some tiles missing here and there...).

Good idea with the lights, thank you. Yes, I have a bicycle insurance as I have to bicycles, and use them quite a lot (especially in the summer), (But I don't know if that insurance covers scootering as well, I will ask them... And by the way, yes I do rollersblades rollerskating as well, but only out of town at a road section that virtually has no traffic - 1 car per every half an hour or so...)

My main concern is that i don't want to be fined - a year or so ago I saw two policemen fining two teenagers for riding their bicycle on a pavement in town centre, and about half a year ago I saw a policewoman stopping and talking a lot to an old folk who rode his electric mobility scooter on road at approx 5mph or so, although I'm not sure if that was illegal or not and whether in the end she fined the guy or not...)

Favorite Answer

Foot pushed scooters don't belong on the road, that's for motorized vehicles that can move out of traffic fast. Your standard scooter needs to be on the sidewalk, same as roller blades, roller skates and baby buggies.

Bikes get a 'pass' on it because they move faster at longer intervals than any other non-motorized conveyances and are large enough for drivers to actually SEE in front of them.

If in doubt, ask the desk sergeant at your local police precinct.

Get rid of the flashing lights for a start use only constant ones. It's one thing to see you, another to know where you are. A flashing light makes it impossible to pin down perception and lights that bright will dazzle anyone within range making it impossible to see what's around or behind the light source.

I don't care how quick it can go, how quick can you stop it? Going three times faster than other pedestrians you very likely to run into quite a few so I hope you have insurance because if you run into me I will sue, just the same as if a cyclist runs into me.

The police will become interested if you ride it in a reckless manner without regard to other road users.

Without knowing where you are, this can't be answered. Regulations pertaining to using this on roads, sidewalks, even bike paths, will be local laws and can even be put in place by facility management, such as shopping centers. Suggest you get some local guidance from your community police.

You might get stooped by police