Plastering an old house?

Hi, right then I'm having a new kitchen installed on an old house which is just a nightmare. I've pulled the old kitchen out and intend to have the walls and ceiling plastered first.

On removing the tiles and cupboards from the one wall little bits of plaster came away leaving a tennis ball width patch about half a centimetre deep. It became clear the surrounding plaster wasn't sound and not a very good idea to fill and plaster over. So, I tried chipping a little away until I got to solid surrounding plaster with the intention of filling the hole. As I chipped away it started coming off in chunks. I'm now left with a 3foot by 6 patch that isn't feasible to fill.

Behind in solid with scratch marks. Around the patch is a lip of a couple of millimetres to the decent plaster.

My question is, will the plasterer be able to level this off? Will i (would it be sensible) need to completely clear the wall of old plaster back to the scratch coat. Would it need to be rendered first or it's the scratched coat the render etc

As you can tell I'm not a plasterer and mine isn't available until the weekend and it's playing on my mind.

Hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks for all replies both helpful and the obligatory abusive ones.

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favourite answer

    the answer is yes do not remove any more plaster as he will need a level to work to

    Source(s): experiance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    Get a plasterer to have a look. Make sure the bad patch wasn't caused by damp. If there's damp, plastering over it will just be a waste of time.

  • 7 years ago

    im with stephen on this one ..leave it to the spread ...but phone him before so he can bring enough materials to sort it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.