does a room feel bigger if theres a step down to dining room from kitchen?

Hi, I want to create an open plan family dining kitchen combo but looking binto howni can define areas...so was curious if o should do my extended dining 2steps lower then kitchen or even family room but what are pros cons..like below

http://www.houzz.com/photos/74073/Livingroom-tradi...

Favorite Answer

no you are still dealing with the same space but over all stairs limit what you can do with the space where the stairs are....and they become an obstacle ...always stepping up or down....

I would go with and resell would be better with an all open floor plan with no steps..i think the door ways could be cool by being a little large and maybe arching doorway to other room...like dining room to family room..or entry to front room...

also I would do some nice flooring like bamboo or tile helping to give the whole area flow

*(*

• ?

The tripping hazard, as others have said, must be considered. Have you considered defining the areas by open plan shelving, perhaps some really high overhead cupboards for seldom used items, open shelving below for decorative items and more cupboards underneath these (at normal under worktop height), but still leaving a good walkway through. This use of space for storeage may leave more space in the dining area.

No, and you are creating a tripping hazard, particularly bad if people are carrying things from one room to another. I would not buy a house with steps between rooms unless that feature could be eliminated. If you want to define the areas, use different flooring or paint

karen is right ..you are creating a trip hazard ..im a builder and would never recomend it

Yes.