If you have tattoos can you be an actress/actor?

I don't have any tattoos but people I know do and they want to be an actress so I was just wondering, can you still get acting jobs with tattoos or would you have to cover them up with make-up/clothes or doesn't it really matter.

• Helena

Sure you can, but you shouldn't.

Just cover it up? Maybe. If the directors feels like bothering when there is another person without a tattoo. After all not all productions want to reapply make-up to hide your tattoo between takes/scenes. Sure some celebs have tattoo, but they are shitty examples, cause they got their tattoos AFTER they made a name for themselves. To have one before then is detrimental.

I was once in a production of Chicago, and only people without tattoos were asked to audition (there's a lot of skin in that show you know...). When people started getting fitted for their costumes, it was discovered that one girl had a tattoo she had been hiding. She was fired and replaced the next day with ease.

Directors want a clean slate, and in such a competitive field, you can't risk or assume anything.

Actors With Tattoos

• Cogito

Blackgrumpycat, bnk01 and Helena are right - it's a really bad idea.

Sure, it's possible to cover them up, but it takes time, it's expensive, and the make-up can rub off. As there are so many actors competing for very few jobs, casting directors will always prefer to hire someone who isn't going to cost them unnecessary expenditure.

The other problem is that most agents won't accept anyone with tattoos, or even with more than a single piercing in each ear. And that goes for all good drama schools as well.

And tattoos look so trashy anyway - it makes the person who has them look uneducated and lacking in taste.

Wannabee actors have enough problems trying to get work - why add to them?

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): tattoos actress actor: https://shortly.im/AUUgV

Anyone telling you no is clearly not in the industry. I'm a working actor, you can look me up on IMDB under Mark DeLisle. I have about 7 VISIBLE tattoos. Even on super small roles (co star on Shameless last week) they have NO problem covering you with make up.

Some roles I get BECAUSE of the tattoos (or at least they added to the character, like when I guest starred on IRONSIDE as a biker) others I'm usually a clean shaven clean cut cop and they never even mention the tattoos, they just cover them up.

• bnk01

Angelina Jolie got hers when she was famous and any film wanting to hire her was willing to spend an hour a day of additional make-up and touch-up time while the film crew - scores of professionals getting paid very well - wait.

For a newcomer, a tattoo is a HUGE detriment to getting work. If you can hide it with clothing, that's great... until they're shooting the scene where the costumer wants you in a sun dress or a t-shirt or whatever and you have to say no.

It WILL cost you acting jobs. Covering them up takes time... and you need a damn good make-up artist to paint over a tattoo in such a way that it doesn't look like you're wearing make-up at all.

Don't do it. If you already have... resign yourself to having one more obstacle to overcome in trying to make it.

I am currently working with an actress with a tattoo. It is on her foot and hidden by her shoes. I have also worked with an actress/singer who has tats on her arms, back and legs. She had to wear a skirt and short sleeved blouse. She wore thick flesh coloured tights on her legs and used to stand in the corridor while the wardrobe department sprayed a special makeup on her arms and neck to hide her other ones. It is not ideal and expensive to cover them up, but possible.

Tom Sturridge! or Emily Browning

Of course, they can easily cover them up these days, plus some roles look better when the character is tattooed.

Yes, but it can make things harder, especially if it's a really visible one. On the flip side, having tattoos can get you access to roles that require ink as part of the character, by the virtue that your "natural" ink saves the makeup artists time and energy.