How to safely, painlessly euthanise a cat at home with Valium?

Don't reply if you are going to say, Take him to the vet,or Shoot him. I am in weekly contact with my vet. She agrees that keeping him at home, painless and happy, is best. He will have a slow decline regardless, and we both agree that his being at home is happier for him than locked in a cage at the vet... show more Don't reply if you are going to say, Take him to the vet,or Shoot him.

I am in weekly contact with my vet. She agrees that keeping him at home, painless and happy, is best. He will have a slow decline regardless, and we both agree that his being at home is happier for him than locked in a cage at the vet clinic.

He has feline leukemia (much like AIDS in humans). He is currently in no pain, but just very listless. If I feel he is starting to really suffer, I want him to pass as comfortably as possible, without the fear of the vet clinic, and just sitting in my lap as I pet him and talk to him.

He has been hospitalised twice and was extremely sad - he wouldn't eat or drink, and they had to forcefully give him his meds. I am North American, but live in a buddhist country where most vets will not euathanise, plus, taking my little guy to the vet is always full of stress and fear. Those are not the last emotions I want him to have.

Again, the "take him to the vet" option is not acceptable. The last cat I had was old and had cancer, and I took her to the vet to be medically euthanised when her quality of life was so poor, and it was horrible for her, and for me. Where I live, the vets give "whatever"....in my last cat's case, the vets gave dog meds, which caused her great discomfort in her last moments, and I was (and still kind of am....) a mess about it, especially b/c the vet's assistant wasn't there and he made me help. They either won't do it, or if they will, they just inject any old lethal drug without regard to suffering. The death I witnessed lasted several minutes and appeared to be extremely stressful for the poor cat.

I have access to Valium. I know it is prescribed in small doses to cats for a variety of reasons. I guess what I am asking is, has anyone painlessly, calmly euthanised their cat with a standard human dose (10 mg).

Because I am in weekly contact with the vet, I keep giving the cat all of his prescribed medications, which he takes comfortably from me, but they seem to have no effect. He eats, drinks, uses the litter box, vomits once a day, and sleeps about 23 hours a day.

He is still in no pain or too much suffering (he just cannot play). I just want a comfortable option for him if he seems to start suffering. Carrier + car + vet = extreme fear for him.

Picture yourself walking to lethal injection. You don't want to put your friend through that, especially since he committed no crime and was just born with an illness.
And picture your friend not being given the most humane lethal injection,
but just so much cocaine that they freak out and then have a painful heart attack.

I am a responsible pet owner. I have paid for the best veterinary care for my cat since I rescued him as a 6 week old kitten.

I am not worried about the cost of veterinary euthanasia, but rather the haphazard way it is done in this country. They are very respectful of the body once dead, but not so careful with the actual death.

I want to help him pass easily, when the time comes, with him feeling calm and loved.

Has anyone had a good outcome with Valium?

Again, I will give him all the chances in the world. I just want to make sure his final hour is not stressful or painful for my little sweet cat.

I have looked some things up, but they are either very complicated and frightening for the cat, or just "shoot it", which is not an option.

I understand this is a complicated question, and I appreciate all thoughtful and caring responses.

If you want to be a jerk, please answer someone's STD questions instead.

Thank you.
Update: The country is Thailand. With their beliefs, there is a combo of "You were born as this creature as a punishment for a bad past life" along with "I cannot personally take a life, but if someone else kills the chicken or pig or fish, then I can totally eat it". Like most/ all religions, it is... show more The country is Thailand. With their beliefs, there is a combo of "You were born as this creature as a punishment for a bad past life" along with "I cannot personally take a life, but if someone else kills the chicken or pig or fish, then I can totally eat it". Like most/ all religions, it is hypocritical and does not really acknowledge any kind of science.

My vet may euthanise, but there is all the trauma involved, plus she will grab whatever happens to be lethal, without regard to suffering, even though life-care has been exemplary. It is a very contradictory nation.
Update 2: Thanks for all of the answers. My cat, too, has been under extensive medical treatment for the leukemia. It is not as though I am just letting him suffer with no treatment. He's been hospitalised, and I have meds that I get from the vet every week to maintain the treatment. Again, I live in Thailand, not... show more Thanks for all of the answers. My cat, too, has been under extensive medical treatment for the leukemia. It is not as though I am just letting him suffer with no treatment. He's been hospitalised, and I have meds that I get from the vet every week to maintain the treatment. Again, I live in Thailand, not N. America or Europe. If he does keep declining, I will consult with my vet for humane options. She doesn't normally do home visits, but perhaps she will. She also does not normally does not euthanise - again, this is Thailand. If she won't, I can search for a vet who will.