My desktop monitor displays everything too wide now?

We had an issue with our monitor this morning where it was "washed out" or had a milky background effect. That has been fixed now due to mistakenly changing a setting on the monitor (a samsung LED). But now we have a problem that everything from the icons on the desktop to Internet explorer and all... show more We had an issue with our monitor this morning where it was "washed out" or had a milky background effect. That has been fixed now due to mistakenly changing a setting on the monitor (a samsung LED). But now we have a problem that everything from the icons on the desktop to Internet explorer and all programs display too wide. We have checked the resolution and other setting on the PC and they havenàt changed and we have tried adjusting them and restarting the PC but everything still appears too wide. It doesnt seem to respond to anything.

I have also played with the menu for the monitor but nothing seems to help.

Has anyone come across this or know what to do, any advise is appreciated.

Cheers

PS. No I am not in safety mode.