How to tolerate music you don't like?

Before I begin this let me just tell you that their are only three genres of music that I don't like. Rap, Hip Hop, and Alternative.

*everything else I like: country, rock, opera, classical, folk, violin, elevator music, metal, electro, contemporary, jazz, french, italian, 50's music, 80's, 70's, 60's, and even some 90's*

So anyways, I was at a friends house and coincidentally enough the only music my friends seem to enjoy is rap, hip hop, and alternative. Now don't get me wrong. I don't want everybody to be like me and enjoy the same music as me but, just think about sitting in a room for an entire day with nothing but your most hated genres of music playing in the background. You can't even hear yourself think.

By the time morning came I was done with it, I essentially said "How can you guys listen to this garbage" (with some added vulgarity that I regret saying)...... and then I walked out and they went silent for a while.

That wasn't how I wanted to come off I just got soooooo tired of it. And to be fair here, they know darn well that I hate that music. Can you please tell me, how can I tolerate music I don't enjoy and not come off as a total buzz kill.

Like should I just pretend I like it and embrace it or should I just act like an indifferent fly in a milk carton.

• Zer0

Get an iPod and listen to your garbage

When I hear songs on the radio, generally belonging to genre's I don't like, I tend to find that the more you listen to certain songs they get stuck in your head no matter what. So if you want to tolerate music that you don't like just listen to it over and over again. Pretty soon you'll be singing whether you like the music or not.

Source(s): Memorizing songs for a foreign language class.

I endure nasal country music every day at work. I have said some vulgar things to my foreman, but he still plays the music.

• Hannah

Next time either say, "Can we turn the music for awhile?" or bring some of your own music to listen to. Don't be so serious about it, next time. Don't get angry or annoyed. Be like, "Dude...your music is horrible." Don't call it garbage. People tend to be overly protective of what music they like.

I don't quite know what do about that but maybe you could play some of your music if you have to listen to theirs, they can hear yours or be like have you heard this song and just play it. Maybe just annoy them lol I don't know I don't have this problem

im listening to metal and rock and beethoven since i was a kid but my friends and people around me dont enjoy that kind of music and i dont enjoy genres that they like but you just have to tolerate your friendship worth's alot

Deal with it like you go to the club

I simply block it out from my mind.

If you don't like it, either pipe up or shut up. It is their house, they can play what they please as long as they aren't disturbing their neighbors.

tune it out..