Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificThailand · 7 years ago

What will be my ATM max withdrawal in Thailand?

My bank in UK allows me to take out £500 a day. So will this be my max limit when in Thailand. By the way my bank is Halifax.

Also I understand the basic fee is 150 Baht, so I am best to take out the maximum. However, is there any other way to even avoid the 150 Baht.

Just wanting to learn and see what the best ways are.

Also last question, what happens if you get your card stuck in an ATM in Thailand, your kinda screwed, I would hate this to happen. Would someone deal with this and get your card back for you?

Favorite Answer

The max you can withdraw from a ATM depends on the Bank you use to withdraw your money. Some only let you withdraw 10,000 baht per transaction, while others are 20,000 per transaction.

I use Krung Thai Bank ATM's. They always let me withdraw 20,000 per transaction.

I always recommend that the first time you use your card do it at a bank that is open so if you have problems you can ask for help. If your card get stuck in the machine the rule is they shouldn't give it back to you. But, I have had this happen to me twice and both time a clerk gave me my card back. But that doesn't mean your out of the woods. Your bank could have put a hold on your card and then you will have to call your bank for help. Just make sure you inform your bank that you are traveling overseas prior to going.

The most important thing to do is tell your bank that you are going to Thailand , for how long and approx. how much you might withdraw on your trip otherwise your account will be frozen.

Max you can withdraw is 20000 Baht and each transaction will cost you 150 Baht.

Never known it to happen but if your card is stuck in ATM then go inside Bank when open with ID to get your card back.

Source(s): Holiday maker for 10 years now live here

The withdrawal limit is set by your bank, with ATM limits also kicking in at 25,000THB it appears.

Virtually all ATMs now charge a usage fee for each use.

Notify Halifax you will be using your card overseas.

Use your card in an ATM near or inside the same open bank so the staff can attend to you immediately.

You could carry two dup cards if one gets stuck due to mechanical failure inside the machine, at least.

Carry emergency credit card or less useful travelers checks.

Bring only large denomination currency in the most new version of the paper bill.

Source(s): live here
  • Jason

Your bank will certainly add charges to withdraw. If I use my card out there(santander) they charge me between £13-17 and the maximum I can take out at any time is 15'000 baht. So get onto the Halifax and ask them what are the oversea's charges.

I don't know about getting your card back, just remember, if I remember correctly,, there you get the card back after it has dispensed the cash, so you may walk away with the cash and forget the card.

been there matey, lost my card in a phra samut chedi, samut prakan kasikorn atm, so many people pass by the boat station there, telephone number was automated and then i got a thai woman after 2 hours, yes 2 hrs standing there like a muppet, yes i kicked the atm. im english what can i say haaaa it was a worrying time

then it was off to a bank the next day with passport etc etc to prove it was my card stuck in there.

travellers cheques are the safest way and ther eis only a 33 baht charge for changing them

so obviously change big t - cheques if u are concerned about the 60 pence charge.

• Check with yours bank customer service department about it....

All questions you should ask the Halifax

I always get 20,000 - that seems to be the machines limit, I guess - though not sure.