Maxi Dress for Wedding..?

I am attending a wedding in mid October in Charleston South Carolina. The wedding starts at 4:30PM and is at a country club. The wedding is outside and the reception is inside. I was thinking a maxi dress because it may be chilly at night. I am 5'2" and small bust...I was thinking of this dress...with black heels and a black clutch. Just a simple braclet. The bridesmaids are wearing navy....What do you think?

http://www.windsorstore.com/Mint-Tribal-Maxi-Dress...

I should add I'm 29 years old and was thinking of wearing a black shawl with it incase I get chilly.

It think its fine to wear. But, there is no reason to ruin the look of the beachy, airy dress with a shawl. So, skip the shawl and tough it out if it gets chilly. You will certainly not freeze in South Carolina in October.

• It's fine in principal really, but have you tried on a maxi dress? It's a beautiful dress but everyone looks different wearing different things, body shape, height, bust, all that to take into consideration and while things look good on a model online or in a catalog or it looks good on the rack, it may not be WOW factor on you. Or it might be. Who knows. Women come in all different shapes and sizes, and dresses are made for a small population of models in a very narrow range of sizes.

Long dresses tend to work more on taller women.

But aside from that, it's not what rules dictate you should or should not do. Take a good friend shopping with you if you're not really sure, and go try some on- not saying you have to buy what you see, but you can't really tell if that mint tribal maxi dress online is 'you' or if you'll 'feel' it the way you think you do in the picture.

I had a pretty clear vision of what styles of wedding dresses I wanted to try on before I went dress shopping. My MOH went with me and insisted I try on some things she picked out. Stubborn as I was, I let her have her wish. And thank goodness for that. The pictures are deceiving. And your mind is deceiving sometimes.

And then consider that you want to find a dress you will be able to wear again more than once.

Also I'm not entirely sure about black shawl at a wedding? When you're going to try dresses on, go look at wraps and coverups, there are a lot of cute bolero style jackets out there that are light enough to not hinder you from getting up and hitting the dance floor, if it's that chilly, and are not going to make you look like the mother of the bride, or simple wraps/shawls too. Try some on, see what feels right. I have a few bolero jackets that I wear when I go out on the town and I don't want a full-on coat to drag around, to go with sleeveless tops/dresses.

Have fun shopping :)

Source(s): personal experience- I never buy anything online unless I've tried it on in person. I sometimes take a friend if it's something I'm not sure about. I have been to many weddings as a guest so I've shopped a lot for things to wear, and I spent a good amount of time shopping for my own wedding dress and my bridesmaids dresses also to make sure they liked them in person, not just online pictures.
  • I think it's a gorgeous dress. You can bring a shrug or jacket with you (I really don't think it'll look that bad), just try not to put it on unless you absolutely have to. Once you're inside for the reception you should be fine anyway.

Very cute.. I think you should! Maybe bring a cardigan or shawl to cover your shoulders in case it does get chilly, but since its inside and everyone is dancing, you should be good

You should so wear that! It's beautiful! It will suit you loads and you will look stunning! <3

• Jenn

That's an adorable dress, and I think it will be perfect.

It's a pretty dress, but you're going to freeze.

It's also hard to keep that look when you put something on top- you end up looking like the Mother of the Bride once you put on a jacket.

You're young - better to get something short and show off your legs, since you'll want something on your shoulders. One end or the other - as petite as you are, you could disappear completely under this one. I'd stick to something short (but not babydoll short) since you can carry it off.

http://www.windsorstore.com/Shop/Prom-Dresses/Shor...