What is the difference betw. a lounge and a living room?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favourite answer

There is no difference in meaning between the two.

'Living Room' can also be called 'Lounge Room' or even 'Lounge'.

So, it is informal. Anyway, the word 'Lounge' is used more in British English - a living room in a private house.

In US and Canada, a lounge might mean also an expensive bar (especially in a hotel).

The British alternative is 'Lounge bar' or 'Saloon Bar' (especially in a hotel or pub).

Hope that helps.

Source(s): I am English.
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the difference betw. a lounge and a living room?

Source(s): difference betw lounge living room: https://shortly.im/hhfGN
  • Bilbo
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Nothing in practice. Something called U and non-U English usage, with "U" standing for "upper class", and "non-U" representing the aspiring middle classes, popular in the 1950s when social mobility threatened the traditional upper classes. They distinguished between Lounge (non-U) and Drawing Room (U) but that eventually gave way to Living Room. Most 'refined words' were considered middle class - and plainer English was deemed Aristocratic. All good fun - and most working classes/lower middle classes had their Living Rooms (which they used all the time) and Parlours (which they used for 'best' - and in which they probably spent more time laid out in their coffins than when they did when they were alive).

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

"Lounge " entered the vernacular after WW 1 , often refers to the front / sitting / ( with )drawing room and implies soft furnishings e.g. 3 piece suite ( 2 armchairs, 1 settee ) for relaxation . It was kept immaculate and often used only on Sundays or formally to receive visitors ,until the `60s.

The " Living room " ,formerly the parlour ,and close to the kitchen if not combined ,was used for everyday and informal activities .

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Living room

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

If you want to build spectacular pencil images such as for instance a grasp without decades of trials and errors then you require Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery guide from here https://tr.im/VVrHc .

Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery, manufactured by Christopher Sia, is a pencil pulling class which will offer you: symbol drawing exercises, lessons and knowledge.

The Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery is invaluable guide with 208 pages with images, and 605 cases with clear descriptions so you can understand most of the strategies of pen portrait.

• 7 years ago

A lounge is a posh way of saying living room which is a posh way of saying sitting room.

They are the same room.

I say sitting room.

I'm in my sitting room now.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

A living room is where you spend time with your family and friends and it is fancy wheras a lounge is a bit cassual and relaxed

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Portraits Techniques http://emuy.info/RealisticPencilPortrait/?5Aso
  • Mark
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

There is no real difference. I prefer the word "front room", but everyone uses the word that he (or she) prefers. People who have both use them for whatever purpose they choose, but there is no prescribed difference.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.