What happens If i insure someone elses car but say i own it to the insurance company?

I need to drive my business partners car on occasion, but finding it difficult to get insured.

I have fully comp insurance on my own cars but I am 20 years old so below the 25 age limit to drive other cars third party.

Also no temporary/day insurance is possible because they will not insure the high performance car.

So, the only option really is to buy a fully comp insurance policy on his car, pay a month, and then cancel it. However, no insurance company will insure me not being the owner.

So, If I buy a policy and say that I am the owner which I'm not, will this be a problem if I am pulled over by the police? can I blag it and say I just bought it but not transferred ownership yet, or what?

Thanks in advance,

I cant go on his insurance as it raises the policy price from £1550 to £16,500 (yes you read that correctly) because apparently by not owing the car i don't care if I crash it.

Doesn't matter about any claims being valid as ts for a few days and wont be crashed.

And yes you can get 2 policies on one car you just can't claim on both polices, so any other suggestions?

Favorite Answer

They won't let you insure it as it's got a policy active on it already anyway, you can't have two policies on one car.

Just get the policyholder to add you to the insurance.

EDIT: OK, thumbs down all you like, but the simple answer is that since no insurance company you've tried will even entertain your proposal, the chances are it cannot legally be done, and yes, while it it is POSSIBLE to insure one car on two separate policies, you'll not find an insurance company that'll do it.

Forget it, this isn't going to happen.

You logic on this is fatally flawed on more than one level.

1. Yes you could do a second policy on the car but if it came to a claim then it would be detected and the insurer would not pay out due to the fact that you lied to them about owning it. You could even be prosecuted for fraud.

2. If you take out a 12 month policy you pay more than one month for the initial deposit, typically 2 or 3 months worth. If cancelled in month one they will charge typically 2 or 3 months worth of cover for the one month as they have to recover the set up charges they incur as these are the same whether the policy is cancelled early or not. They will also charge an admin fee on top of that.

3. The Police know every trick that you do and the "I just bought it Officer" is the oldest one in the book - they will not believe you and act accordingly.

4. "And yes you can get 2 policies on one car you just can't claim on both polices, so any other suggestions?" - NOT WITHOUT INFORMING BOTH INSURERS OF THE FACT THAT THEIR LIABILITY FOR THEFT AND OTHER NONE DRIVER ATTENDED MATTERS IS ALTERED.

SUGGESTION - As it is for a few days then hiring a car would most likely be the same or cheaper and keep you from becoming a criminal fraudster.

• ANDY

Hello

The law states that the policy Holder must be the Main Driver. You must be added to that policy as a Named Driver.

The law also says that you can only have one Policy on a car so you have got that wrong.

So no you can't take out another policy on it, And as soon as you did it would flag the car to the next passing police vehicle with ANPR and set an alarm off. What I think you were told is that a person can have as many policies on different cars as long as only 1 per car and your NCB can only be used on 1.

Check with the police.

Andy C

If your partner's car is already insured you will n ot be able to take out a second policy - the existing one will show on the database. The only option is for you to be added to that policy as a second named driver - and I know you say the price is impossible, but that is still the only way to do it.

Just tell your partner that you are sorry but you cannot drive his car at any time.

Don't take the police as fools, if you tried to blag you will make it worse for yourself because everything is at the police disposal when it comes to vehicle information.

You can't insure one vehicle twice.

If you lie anywhere in your policy you are automatically uninsured.

Just face it you can't drive the vehicle and I am surprised the company even allows you to drive it anyway.

Edit

Your credibility as a human being slips when you made the statement that within two days you won't crash. How about lining up for a brain, fool.

Edit

Think about it people how can one car be insured with two different people claiming to be the owners! The car will also have to be in his name ie log book and main driver.

The car is insured, not the driver. Just have your name added to insurance policy as a listed driver, problem solved. It may raise the price of his insurance. but will still be cheaper than what you want and will also now be legal.

• Ted C

The insurance company could check the ownership through the DVLA, so I don't think that will work. Just try and get yourself as a named driver on his policy, though because of your age they might not accept you, in which case you will not be able to drive it legally.

• g

A vehicle can only be insured by the owner. Period. If you did commit fraud by telling the insurer that you owned the vehicle the insurer would not cover you if you had to make a claim.

• Adam

You cant have two consecutive policys running against the same car.

Ask your mate to just add you as a named driver.