promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

When sailing, when you are entering a busy port, what regulations should you follow? International, the ports?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favourite answer

The International Regs and the port's regs will fit together, will not be in conflict. But you do have to know what both sets of regs say - for instance, it is very common that ports define an entry and exit route for private vessels to use that keeps them away from commercial vessels (Harwich). The port's regs may also define which VHF channel to use to talk to Traffic Control, and specify light signals which allow or prohibit entry (Dover).

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • ANDY
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Hello

The ports of course, You get to international waters when 3 miles out from the coast.

Andy C

• Sailor
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

You are required in the first instance to follow the international requirememts. Port requirements will be in addition to these. Check with the port athorities first.

• 7 years ago

Your very first concern and radio contact will be (should be) in all cases, with Customs. . . They are the Port Authority, so Customs will give you the exact location & reporting instructions.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Fred
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I follow the law of gross tonnage. If it's bigger than me... I get out of it's way.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.