promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do muslims know fasting means no food?

Then why do they only not eat from sun up to sun down? I will be celebrating Ramadan without food btw.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favourite answer

muslims fast from 3.00 am to 9.30pm from Wednesday. from 9.30pm - to 3.00am you can eat what you like for thirty days. So we can only eat for those 5hrs 30 minutes every day for thirty days. We cant eat food, drink or have sex in the fasting period.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 7 years ago

Do muslims know fasting means no food?

~~~ Do YOU know that there are many types of fasting?

Then why do they only not eat from sun up to sun down?

~~~ Because that is one way to fast.

And it is traditional.

I will be celebrating Ramadan without food btw.

~~~ Well, aren't you special!

Better than anyone else, that's for sure!

A real legend in your own eyes!

That is the sin of pride, vanity, if you didn't pick it up.

But your ego won't let you admit it to yourself.

Just td me...

I bet that you cannot do it!

That you, after you have the bragging done, will fail!

I'm sure that We won't hear you bragging about that, though...

Just crickets...

• 7 years ago

actually fasting has different variations, true during ramadan, some muslims will fast all day and the gorge at night. i think its wrong to do this but its their tradition

i go the opposite way. i think its better and healthy to fast all day and eat a low calorie meal at night.

i fasted for 3 months comfortably this way. i would eat typically 2 or 3 small potatoes with butter and some mayo, maybe an egg or two. or i would cook a couple hot dogs with mustard on slices of bread.

one thing to note, there is no commandment anywhere that one HAS to fast. and no one should ever fast for an oath of contention or a secret combination to kill someone as they did with jesus.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Fasting has many meanings. Hindus "fast" on ekadasi (the 11th day of both halves of the lunar month) but for them it means not eating "rice or grains" but instead they eat lots of food with tons of chapattis which are made from wheat (grains). So fasting is a very "flexible" word. in the same way, Muslims "fast" eating all they want and normally more than usual, at night.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Beau
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Fasting means refraining from doing some sort of activity. It is not exclusive to not eating food.

Peace and Namaste!

• 7 years ago

Technically, a fast is any form of dietary restriction. That includes not eating while you sleep: hence the term "breakfast" for the first meal after rising.

• Bobbin
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Different belief systems, even different sects, have their own requirements and practices. In Christianity, fasting ("sacrificing through deprivation") during Lent can mean giving up sweets, television, meat, sex, etc. Note: there are different divisions of Islam like there are of Christianity, and they don't necessarily have the same rituals.

• neil s
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

That's their time of fasting. Any significant span of time when someone doesn't eat is a fast. This is why the first meal of the day is called "break fast."

• 7 years ago

Doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice saying you can't eat at night because it just makes them sound like freaking Gremlins.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Who knows.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.