Cutting 3mm pvc sheet?

Hello,

I am starting a project and will need to be able to cut quite intricate designs into 3mm foamex / acrylic sheets. The only sources I can find on google state about cutting the sheets from edge to edge, rather than cutting holes in the sheet. How can I go about cutting a .5mm - 1.2mm rectangle for example?

This is the most intricate piece I will need to cut; http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5641/13fb.png

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

mark out the shape you need...run masking tape over the lines to protect the surface...

Drill a hole in the corner of your shape as a starting point...using a fine hacksaw blade slowly cut around the line.

Wrap masking tape around the end of the blade to make it easier to hold.

Hold the edge of the surface being cut firmly down on a hard surface whilst sawing.

You could use a jigsaw but they are a bit overkill for 3mm acrylic

I can't think of the name of it but there is a portable machine for cutting light weight materials like that.