Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

Family wants to get rid of dog?

This is such a difficult situation and I'll try and explain it as best I can. We have a 9 month old labrador, as you can guess hard work! For years I was terrified of dogs (I don't know why) So once we got this dog my fear slowly decreased. Now my family want to get rid of him and I'm heartbroken, I feel stupid but I am. What do I do? Do I let them and get over the heartbreak or continue to back his conner for him to stay at home?

It's not for you to feel stupid... but it is for your parents to feel totally irresponsible and heartless.

Ever heard the phrase "A dog is for life".. and so it should be. Your parents shouldn't be getting a dog and then just get rid of him.

It is up to you on this but if they really don't want him then what training will they put in and what life will he have. God, I despair of people like your parents and what they are then going to do to you let alone the dog.

Terrible behavior.

Why do they want to get rid of him? They might as well say they want to get rid of you!!! At nine months old, your family will be this pups whole world, and all he knows and remembers. /can you imagine how this poor pup will feel when suddenly everything he knows is stripped away from him. I know its not easy in these days to keep a growing pup, particularly one that is going to grow into a big dog......but I assume that your family did some research into this before they bought the pup?? I suggest you sit down with your family and talk to them about this. Discuss with them ways of saving money to help pay for food and insurance ( better to have pet insurance than to suddenly find yourself with a huge unexpected vets bill!!). Make every effort to help train him so that he is obedient and calm.....and much less hard work. With a little help and understanding, you should be able to make them see that they cant just ''get rid''!!

OMG I have a Lab myself and they are one of the gentle breeds and a great family dog. I think it is sad when something like this occurs but just maybe they bought this dog for you to show some responsibility in caring for it; and well your not so they have no other choice. If you really want this dog you need to show them your going to do whatever it takes to keep it meaning training it taking it for walks everyday etc. and even looking at getting a job to pay for its food and vet bills dogs are not cheap.

Do not feel stupid, You have obviously become very attatched to him and if I were in you position and my family tried to get rid of any one of my dogs I would kick up hell! They surely must have a good reason to "get rid" of him but even then, in my opinion, no reason is good enough to just discard him, obviously apart from if he is a danger to any person.

Talk to your family, tell them how you feel, ask them for the reasons why they want to do this, and I can bet you bottom doller they will be trivial. Talk to them about the advantages of him being around and tell them how much he means to you.

If your family feel that the dog creates a lot of work, you should take over his care. Take him out for long walks, prepare his meals and play with him. Go to training classes and improve his behaviour by practicing what you are taught every day. You should also groom him every day and reduce your social activities.

If you really love the dog, back his corner and don't let him go. Trust me, you'll miss him so much.

This happened to me twice... My mum got rid of two of our dogs at only 1 years old, I didn't back the dog's corner & afterwards it broke my heart - I will never forgive myself for letting my mum get rid of them, it's now over 3 years later and I still regret it, and I still miss them both lots. If I could go back in time and stop my mum, I really would!

Do all you can to keep him with you. :-)

tell them that you will look after the dog and why do they want to get rid of a puppy? and labradors are cute

dont let them get rid of the dog its part of the family its like asking to get rid of one of the children you just cant.

Ask them why... If its because he has a problem or something, do what is best for him

If it is because he isn't trained well, try your hardest to train and prove you parents that he is the best family pet.

Good luck x

• Tell them you want to keep the dog