promotion image of download ymail app

Opening a bank account without proof of address?

I am a UK citizen, but I haven't lived here since 1999. I moved back 3 weeks ago, in with my father and I want to open a bank account but I can't because they need a proof of address. What am I supposed to do?

11 Answers

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favourite answer

    Register with a GP so that you get an up to date NHS card.

    Contact the local council and ask to go on the electoral register at your current address - that will give you something official addressed to you.

    Contact DVLA to get your UK licence back at your current address

    Anything will take a few weeks - but those are the easiest ones I can think off.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Athene
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    Proof of address can exist in a number of forms, for example a letter from your new GP (or the NHS), a letter from the Inland Revenue (ask for your NI history for example or confirmation of notification of resuming UK residency), a letter from the DWP (have you applied for JSA or ESA?), or an attestation from the owner/renter of the property you're living at (presumably your father). The latter would probably go a longer way if you're applying for an account at a bank where your father is a client.

    Also look at the "proof" lists provided by banks carefully. The Halifax and Co-op are reputedly more flexible than most banks. Also consider the Post Office.

    Good luck!

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 years ago

    There is really no way to get another person to change his emotions. "Living well is the best revenge." I realize you don't want revenge, but living a great life without him can make him think twice about you.

    Read here

    He might realize that you're a fabulous person to be around and that you're going to be fine with or without him. Keep in touch but in a casual friendly way, not needy at all, and he just might realize that he wants another shot with you. In the meantime, don't close yourself off to any other options.

    I'm twice your age and I'd been in quite a few relationships before I met my husband. So let me tell you from my experience... if he can't maintain a long-term intimate relationship he could be a born player/philanderer. He may have had real feelings for you but he may be overly distracted by other girls/women. This is something that often does not change with time. Of course he's very young, so it could also be just immaturity. It sounds like you are a lot more mature than he is at this point. I'm just saying, if it doesn't work out in the end you may be better off because he might be the kind of guy who is always chasing other females anyway. You might meet "the one" and be glad you didn't stay with this guy, charming as he may be. He can be very loveable but it'll just be hell to have a relationship with him if he strays.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    Bank managers don't open accounts as a general rule - it is something left to a minion. And with what funds did your 'friend' open this account? There are rules in the UK for opening accounts - the institution is liable if the money is found to be stolen or otherwise connected with crime. Would you like to name the bank and the branch you went to?

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

    sadly, proof of address is a key element required when opening an account and no bank/building society will open a standard account without it.

    That said, international banks such as HSBC do offer accounts (HSBC passport) for international citizens where proof of address is not required but a month fee is.

    Alternatives you could try to get proof of address;

    -If your employer has provided you with a contract of employment or payslip with your current address on it, you may be able to use that.Alternatively, your HMRC P2 'PAYE Coding Notice' which notifies you what your tax code is usually accepted as proof of address alongside a current Drivers License or Passport.

    -Contact your local HMRC tax office

    -Alternatively apply for a Prepaid Card. Prepaid cards are great for students and those that have little or no credit history. Once the card is sent to your home, use the letter that comes with it as proof of address.

    A Prepaid Account Card can also be the perfect alternative to a bank account:

    •Some prepaid cards allow you to use them like a bank account and have your wages paid directly to your card's account – without any links to any other account you may have.

    •There are no unexpected bank charges and very little paperwork to fill in to get an account.

    •Just use it like a bank account, pay bills online and set up regular payments for everything from your gas and electric bill to your broadband.

    otherwise the standards forms of proof of address are:

    •Utility Bills: gas, water, electric, cable TV or land-line phone bill (not mobile) that's less than three months old

    •Local authority Council Tax Bill issued within the current financial year

    •UK bank statement that's less than three months old (internet statements aren't acceptable)

    •UK Credit Card statement that's less than three months old (internet statements aren't acceptable)

    •Tenancy Agreement or Council rent book (must be current)

    •Catalogue or Mail Order Statement that's less than three months old

    •Hire Purchase Statement of Account

    •Pension Book

    •UK Photocard Driving License with current address and full paper counterpart

    •Medical card / NHS Card

    •UK Mortgage statement that's less than three months old (internet statements aren't acceptable)

    •Motor insurance or Home Insurance certificate issued within the last 12 months

    Source(s): ex banker
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

    Discover how to get your ex back with simple text message:

    Many girls break up with their significant others, is because they need time to figure things out. Don't take it personally, if you want her back, you have to show her you can help her. If you love her then you'll let her go, that's it. Not everybody who you date in high school you end up staying with, the chances are extremely unlikely. So if she doesn't want to, then you need to let her go.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 3 years ago


    Source(s): Ex Back Definitive eBook
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    Want to know how to get your ex back? Change yourself. Don't worry about changing other people, worry about changing yourself. Go to

    Once you do that then you can start to worry about getting back together with your ex, other wise you will find that you are fighting about all the same things and getting no where. Do what it takes and I promise things will work out in your favor.

    The funny thing is I came to the realization that I had to change a little too late. After I was kicked out and after I was about to lose the only things that truly mattered to me - her love. A funny thing happens when we truly love someone and lose them. We do what ever it takes to get them back. For me I had to drop bad habits that had caused not only our relationship to sour but practically every other relationship I had had in the past. Not only with women, but with friends, co-workers, family, you name it.

    Which is why I say to you as my ex at the time said to me, the only thing you can do is change yourself. Work on yourself and improve on the person that you already are. Drop the negative things in your life that don't belong there and you will see all of your relationships start to take off to new heights.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 7 years ago

    Are you on the electoral roll anywhere?

    If the address on his driving license is out of date, the license must bear his full name and date of birth to be acceptable.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 7 years ago

    U need to present them proof.Otherwise you can't open an account.It is for you.If you didnt present proof anybody can withdraw money by justifying they are the owner.Be Safe....Thanx

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.