Are political parties a bad idea?

Over here in the UK i am looking at the political parties and realsing one thing: They are all terrible. The people from the parties are voted in by the people of their constituency yet they do not properly represent them. For example just look at the coalition government, both parties involved have had to vote... show more Over here in the UK i am looking at the political parties and realsing one thing: They are all terrible.
The people from the parties are voted in by the people of their constituency yet they do not properly represent them. For example just look at the coalition government, both parties involved have had to vote for things that the people who voted for them did not want eg the lib dems had to vote for higher tuition fees.

I realise that this is how parties work however i am asking the question if they are good or bad. The parties are often corrupt and the people who are elected are often bent to the will of their leader and do what the leader tells them rather than what is better for their community.

This is a problem in the U.S as well were as there are only 2 main parties people have to choose between them rather than pick a party that is in the middle ground between them and then to make it worse the parties instead of simply working together to improve the country will deliberately vote against anything the other party proposes even if it agrees with their views.

Therefore my question is: are parties a bad idea and should all elected officials properly represent the views of the people that elected them than simply doing what the leader says.
10 answers 10