Sparks flew when I was disconnecting negative car battery cable?

I decided to disconnect the negative cable to the battery because I was going to install a power window switch. While disconnecting the negative cable to the battery, a stream of sparks flew out. I checked inside the car to make sure nothing was on and noticed the radio was on. Was this more than likely the reason it sparked? I didn't get shocked or anything just scared the crap out of me.

• Joe

Sparking means that some current was flowing before you removed the cable. That could have been current feeding the radio, but only if the key was in the ignition, and turned to "accessory".

Did you have a door open? The dome light also draws current. That might have been the cause of the sparking.

(Either way: you did the right thing by removing the negative battery cable. The sparks might have startled you, but, in and of themselves, are not dangerous.)

If your radio works without the ignition switch being on, then yes. Or did you have the door opened, or is there a light inside you engine compartment. Could be any of those.

the radio won,t do it as long as the radio is connected to the ignition switch ! better check the battery because there might be a short in it or unless you left the switch on !

• ?

i'm loving the solutions to procure already, needless to say from people who're no longer mechanics and have no information of common electric powered circuits. You took off the helpful terminal first, which you ought to no longer do. as quickly because of the fact the wrench, now charged helpful, touched any metallic everywhere on the automobile, as you mentioned, sparks flew. constantly take off the destructive battery terminal first, then once you touch metallic areas you're already grounded, no sparks, no melted wrench the two. while reinstalling the recent battery, helpful first, destructive final.