Why do people in R&S say, "10 points for best answer," when asking their question?

I confess I'm perplexed by this. I mean, the allure of the 10 points isn't why I answer questions, but people actually incorporate the promise of those points in their question.

Picture the scenario:

I'm flicking through the R&S forum and suddenly alight on the question, "What's the meaning of life? 10 points for best answer."

"Ooh," says I. "I could get 10 points for answering this. I'd better think of something to say."

No. That's just dumb. Especially as my answer might not be considered "best" by any criterion used.

And in any case, Yahoo! awards the points to the best answer as chosen by the asker or, in the case of it going to vote, the answer with most votes.

So it's not like answering a question that specifies a 10 point award in the title is any greater incentive to contribute an answer.

So can anyone explain why these people feel the need to include the reminder of the 10-point reward in their question?

Oh, and there's 10 points for the best answer...

I will be picking the best answer myself, not leaving it to vote. You get extra points for picking a best answer, you see...

Favorite Answer

Totally idiotic. Just like "five stars" or "I'll answer yours". Silly kids.

Edit: oh jeez, i'm first, gimme the 10 pointz, gimme the 10 pointz!!!!

They're playing on the fact that most things we do as humans usually involve some kind of reward. Human beings really are very selfish at heart. You help an old lady across the street, you're rewarded with the satisfaction of doing a good deed. You give money to a charity, you're rewarded with a feeling of superiority above those who don't donate. You answer a question and get 10 points, you feel cleverer than everyone else which rewards you with a boost of your confidence. Everyone's actions benefit themselves in some way or form. However, it's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, both parties are happy. I guess they just like to point out the obvious too.

That's a very good question! And in my experience, when a poster offers 10 points for a best answer, s/he almost always lets it go to a vote.

I don't know if it's code word for "I'm a jerk" (present company excluded), or if people are trying to use it for a bribe. I would think, "Give me a good answer and I'll give you a cookie" would be just as accurate and possibly more effective. (Although, on the internet "giving someone a cookie" isn't really a good thing.)

Perhaps the poster feels really benevolent being able to grant 10 points to someone.

I do agree, it's just dumb.

• Super

I always thought those were trying to say "I seriously will pick a best answer. You don't have to worry about it going into vote mode and taking forever to decide. You should know if your answer was the best or not before you forget you even wrote the answer."

But then I guess people should say "I will actually choose a best answer".

• Old-un

They hope they'll persuade people to answer their question in the hope of being chosen as best answer. Regular users know how points are given, so telling us about the award is a ''pointless'' exercise.

• Lv 7

I've seen some people do it because Y!A now requires a minimum amount of characters to post a question and that's better than just putting a line of periods or nonsense like (20 Characters).

Did someone say 10 points and best answer? Ooh I better answer this question then. I can see the carrot dangling there just outside my grasp.

• John r

When I use the phrase it's meant to convey that I'm reading all the answers and I plan on picking the BA myself.

BTW I prefer picking BA's that answer my question whether I like it or not.

matthew 6.7 - another pointless gesture something like the vain mindless x mass proclamations made ever winter solstice amongst total strangers that normally would say nothing to each other and really couldn't care less.

I used to get on R&S years ago. Back then trolls used it to lure people in then bash the answers. I dont think it really made more people answer though.