Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 7 years ago

How to get a proof of address when you can't open a bank account?

Last week my bank wich was Halifax closed down my bank account for fraud and seem like there's no way I can get it sorted for the next 6 months or so.

At the same time I have been rejected from few others banks still because of the fraud mark.

I have been given a second chance by a company called cardonebanking, however they do require a proof of address in order to open up this very basic account that at least will give me the opportunity to have my salary paid regularly.

The problem is that I have just moved to Belfast 10 days ago, I have only rented a room and the landlord takes care of all the bills and stuff. I used to receive the bank statements at the address in London where I used to live until a month ago.

I have also spoken with my landlor about having one of the utility bills on my name for some months and he went literally silent on that one. I assumed it was a cold no.

By the time being I don't seem to have much chances to get a cell phone contract so that I can have some sort of bill coming on my name, and at the same time I can't think of anything else.

Looks like a letter from the employer (and my employer is Microsoft) along with the contract from the landlor are not enough for the company to go ahead and open this account.

At this point I don't really know what else to do, I am facing all this trouble for a fraud I didn't make. I am actually one of the victims of this fraud, but the bank simply won't care, and I might be losing my job in the case I wont find any suitable solution within the next 15 days.

Company can temporary issue a check, but how can I cash the check without having a bank account?

Please somebody help me!

PS: I am UE citizen.


Basically I have exchanged a currency, bitcoin in this case. The money I received ( £ ) turned out to be stolen money from an hacked bank account. I couldn't know it, and that could have happened to anyone selling anything on ebay for instance. Bank refuses to give me any sort of help or information. They left me on a cold street :(

6 Answers

  • ben
    Lv 4
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer


    You say you are a UE citizen - what is that - UE a country anyways you should contact your countries consulate or embassy in Ireland or The Uk - get them to write to you and that letter should be proof of address

    Register with a local doctor again they will mail you apt cards and such -

    I think in law you are entitled to ask to be paid in cash - please check this.

    Can you at least ask someone to cash a cheque for for you

    The fact that you asked your landlord to put a bill in your name will make him suspicious - so be careful - even if you are innocent -

    There might even be a POST OFFICE bank that might help you or get someone back home to open an account in thier name - then allow you to use it - for your pay etc

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    There is really no way to get another person to change his emotions. "Living well is the best revenge." I realize you don't want revenge, but living a great life without him can make him think twice about you.

    Read here

    He might realize that you're a fabulous person to be around and that you're going to be fine with or without him. Keep in touch but in a casual friendly way, not needy at all, and he just might realize that he wants another shot with you. In the meantime, don't close yourself off to any other options.

    I'm twice your age and I'd been in quite a few relationships before I met my husband. So let me tell you from my experience... if he can't maintain a long-term intimate relationship he could be a born player/philanderer. He may have had real feelings for you but he may be overly distracted by other girls/women. This is something that often does not change with time. Of course he's very young, so it could also be just immaturity. It sounds like you are a lot more mature than he is at this point. I'm just saying, if it doesn't work out in the end you may be better off because he might be the kind of guy who is always chasing other females anyway. You might meet "the one" and be glad you didn't stay with this guy, charming as he may be. He can be very loveable but it'll just be hell to have a relationship with him if he strays.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 7 years ago

    Banks offer fraud protection.

    If they do not help you with this, get a lawyer.

    Only if you did something to initiate the fraud would that bank ignore you.

    Did you deposit a fake check?

    Then you need to make up those funds right away.

    That problem is not going to go away.

    Ask the bank you are currently with if you can work something out.

    You can deposit your paycheck, but they can give you half to live on.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 7 years ago

    I have a friend who uses "Net Spend," and has for some time. She says it's great. They will take a direct deposit and give you a debit card. Check the link below and see if it might work for you.I looked into it a little and I don't see where it requires a "proof of address," just asks for an address, period. All the best!

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago

    Want to know how to get your ex back? Change yourself. Don't worry about changing other people, worry about changing yourself. Go to

    Once you do that then you can start to worry about getting back together with your ex, other wise you will find that you are fighting about all the same things and getting no where. Do what it takes and I promise things will work out in your favor.

    The funny thing is I came to the realization that I had to change a little too late. After I was kicked out and after I was about to lose the only things that truly mattered to me - her love. A funny thing happens when we truly love someone and lose them. We do what ever it takes to get them back. For me I had to drop bad habits that had caused not only our relationship to sour but practically every other relationship I had had in the past. Not only with women, but with friends, co-workers, family, you name it.

    Which is why I say to you as my ex at the time said to me, the only thing you can do is change yourself. Work on yourself and improve on the person that you already are. Drop the negative things in your life that don't belong there and you will see all of your relationships start to take off to new heights.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Athene
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    Hopefully you can arrange something from this list(s) - note two items from (A) might be acceptable

    If not, then I would be phoning cardonebanking to enquire what alternatives might be acceptable, for example a letter from my new GP or this

    Good luck!

    • Log in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.