Car insurance for laid-up vehicle?

The insurance on one of the cars in our household is due for renewal next week. However, the car is off the road at the moment (and declared so through a SORN) and so I am loath to incur the cost of full insurance. One was once able to get 'laid-up' insurance for cars which were not in use, but I can't find any company that will now offer this option. I want to cover the car for theft, damage by vandalism or fire, but obviously don't need third party insurance while the car is stationary on the drive. I had considered allowing the policy to lapse, but after a time I don't want to take the risk of losing my no-claims bonus.

Anyone know a company that offers laid-up insurance? Any other advice?

I should add that this is *my* car and, although I don't drive it, I do drive my partner's vehicle.

5 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    This is not something you will find easily if at all on line. You need to talk to a broker on the phone or face to face in somewhere like Swintons on the high street.

  • bayley
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Laid Up Insurance

  • 5 years ago

    National Farmers' Union (NFU) are one of the few who will do this. I needed to do it recently and it cost me the princely sum of £18 for the year. Highly recommended.

  • 3 years ago

    We wouldn't do your research for you last time, and we won't do it this time.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 years ago


Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.