Child custody battle over 2 year old?

sorry this is long everyone but im desperate for advise, heartbroken and afraid... i am going through a tough battle with my sons father at the moment, my 2 year old has been in my full time care since september last year, it was my decision to keep him in my care from then on as his father decided to take off... show more sorry this is long everyone but im desperate for advise, heartbroken and afraid...

i am going through a tough battle with my sons father at the moment, my 2 year old has been in my full time care since september last year, it was my decision to keep him in my care from then on as his father decided to take off with him one night and refused to bring him home, i got him from his father and brought him home 5 days later after alot of dramas thanks to his father. Up until last sep, care was shared , no set days we just swapped over every few days here and there, BUT there has ALWAYS been dramas and disagreements. i had post natal depression for a few months after bub was born as wasnt coping so his dad took over for that time as sole carer and i fell victim to an abusing relationship during that time which turned into my sons father seeing my then partner behind my back, once i split with this horrible guy i rekindled and bonded with my son and devoloped a bond so strong and unbreakable as it didnt come naturally i had to hurt and cry and break myself over and over to get there. Since having my son full time i have given his father the oppotunity to visit him as much as he liked but he only has twice and i have now since moved 2 hours away with my partner who i am now 7 weeks pregnant to. My sons father is taking legal action and wants to fight for custody in court. I need recommendations for a REALLY good family lawyer and any tips to help my case, i am also wanting to know how i can have a home study done by a social worker to show my house is suitable for a child and also a child social worker to assess my son just all-round- well-being etc. we have already been through 3 rounds of mediation and got nowhere. here are a few more descriptive details..

we have a lovely 3 bedroom home my son has his own room own bed and the best of everything
i have a car, license and clean criminal record.
i work part time 3 days a week and my son is in kindy the 3 days that i work ( 2 half days and 1 full day)
my partner works full time
i have a great support network, family friend etc
i dont drink or do drugs, neither does my partner
i love my boy more than life itself and have worked my a** off to provide and come as far as we have

my sons father has been in jail multiple times for offences inc but not limited to possession of stolen goods, blowing up a boat.
he is mental unstable and on various medications
he has had multiple melanomas cut out recently and just physically looks unhealthy and deteriorating
he has been in and out of court since his last sentense
he uses drugs, smokes marijuana and i have witnesses him blow bong smoke in my sons face when he was younger
he dealt heavy drugs since i have known him almost 3 years and is affiliated with biker gangs and dangerous people.
he is bisexual and has a boyfriend who resides with him
he also shares with a friend of his and her 2 children
he has physically attacked a friend of mine in a nightclub but i have no proof
he has alot of resources, contacts and access to money and says he has the 'best' lawyer and is overly confident that he is going to get my son from me.

sorry for such a long post but i dont know where else to ask for help, this isnt a situation i ever thought i would find myself in.