Why do people think that three wise men visited Jesus?

They didn't.
Update: I didn't say that astrologers didn't visit Jesus. They are unnumbered. The Bible never once said that THREE wise men visited Jesus. They brought three types of gifts. This question is designed to show people that they need to know there Bibles better. Because this is just a little trivia but it shows... show more I didn't say that astrologers didn't visit Jesus. They are unnumbered. The Bible never once said that THREE wise men visited Jesus. They brought three types of gifts.

This question is designed to show people that they need to know there Bibles better. Because this is just a little trivia but it shows that more important things may pass them by if they don't "take in accurate knowledge." John 17:3.
Update 2: Tim-You are right. They could have been three. The Bible doesn't say how many. Good point.