In politics, people constantly play the race card. How many other cards are in this deck and what are they?

I know of the: Race, Gun. Gender, Law, and Surveillance cards.

There's all kinds of cards. There's the "Race Card" card, for example, where people accuse each other of just playing the race card all the time. It's effective for deflecting criticism for when people use racist rhetoric to appeal to racists.

Calling something a "card" is an attempt to claim the issue isn't legitimate and is deliberately overhyped for political purposes. It can be done with anything. You could say that conservatives who criticize the fact that wind companies are not fined like oil companies are playing the "Eagle Card," for example.

There is no such thing as a race card. That is an ignorant phrase that is used to dismiss legitimate concerns about racist behavior.

Racism in our society is a concern for all well-meaning people, no matter where they fall on the political spectrum.

• Vanity

I've played it myself for myself, it worked and I'm white. So what, sometimes you get that. Especially when the focus in the world is put exactly on that. Cards are retro unless you're in Vegas.

you forgot the old religion card. that is a good one to pull out for some people to justify all sorts of things. I still think the most annoying card to be pulled though is the law and order card.

the tea party plays the race card a lot

All the cards are either red or black. The other half of the deck is for communists.

Another obvious closet racists attempting to blame others for their filthy stinking racism. If the racists would shove their racism up their jumpers instead of spewing their filth in the public domain there would be no need for racist HATERS like me to out these barbarians .

• daisy

healthcare, economy, job creation, deficit, international relations, taxes, crime, security, moral values, polution, global warming, foreign oil, right to have healthy products to eat, safe toys for children, china & india factories, wallstreet and the stock market. 1%, unemployment........

Potentially infinite. As many ways as leftists can imagine new and creative classes of victim to exploit people with.

• pdooma

Doing it for the children.