If I connect the cold water hose on my washing machine to the hot water pipe will it make a difference?

I have attempted to connect the cold water hose to the cold water pipe but for some reason I can't fully turn the little handle that switches the water on. The hot water handle would turn fine however if I connected the hose to that. Would it make a difference to the machine (i.e., would it damage it) if I connected the cold hose to the hot pipe? Thanks

The water tap is this one:

http://assets.grahamplumbersmerchant.co.uk/product...

When I screw the hose onto the tap, the blue bit can't turn because the bit I screw onto the tap is in the way. This is the type of hose: http://www.partmaster.co.uk/image/480/503168928385...

Favorite Answer

Have just looked at both pics. There is nothing wrong with hose or tap. It sounds as though the tap knob is out of sync and snagging on pipe when you turn it. Make sure it is in the off position, remove screw from top and turn handle through 180 deg and replace screw, you will then find that when turning water on handle moves away from pipe. Connecting to hot supply will do you no favours what so ever, apart from the damage done to your machine over time due to the impurities in hot water supply, your wash will also take longer to do as rinse cycle is done with cold water. Detergents contain 2 active ingredients known as surfactants, ionic and non ionic. Ionic is what gives you your bubbles and is activated by the hot water, non ionic controls the amount preventing over foaming. Cold water stops both actions enabling any detergent remaining to be removed through rinse cycle.

Washing Machine Hose

Sure it will. You will get hot water. I'm no expert in washing clothes although I do know your not suppose to use hot water on a lot of clothes. They will shrink. Try getting a pair of pliers to turn the handle and if that doesn't work spray the handle with some WD-40 and let it sit for awhile and the try again. Short of that change the whole valve. Make sure you turn the water off to your house first though or you will have a mess to clean up.

I'm not sure if you have a hot and a cold feed to your machine or just a cold feed.

If you have just a cold feed yes it would make difference as you would not be able to use any of the lower temperature washes.

Would it work if you took the blue bit off by undoing that little screw and turned it round the other way?

Does your machine only have one input what is meant to be cold??

If that's the case don't connect to the hot as the machine will try and heat the water or need cold water. Call a plumber it won't take much to get sorted, much easier and cheeper that replacing the machine.

Have you tried wd40 on the tap?? Or use a tea towel to get more grip.

Source(s): I've put in a number of machines

Try a pair of pliers on the shut off tap. Wiggle it back and forth and it should free off. If not fit a new one. You could leave the seized one in place and fit a new one next to it. See link for self cutting taps. Every major DIY store should have them in stock.

You would be committing an illegal act in the UK - you must not connect a washing machine to a hot water pipe. The little tap probably won't turn because you haven't fitted the connector correctly.

your hot setting would be cold, how about leaving hoses where they should be and getting two wrench's and try to get cold valve open. put one wrench on handle and the other on body of valve (to keep from breaking off valve from pipe) and try turning valve on. KNOW where main cutoff is in case you screw up.

Source(s): master plumber/ 30+ years
  • b

you will not be doing anything ilegal in the UK if you do as suggested, you will also NOT damage the machine, but you will damage your clothes since all rinses will be in hot water.

Best option fix the tap

If you swapped the pipes over it would do no damage however you would need to do alternate washes by this I mean a 90 wag would now be a 30 wash as the inlets are swapped and the machine will just open the valve expected and not measure temp