When insurance company want to write off car?

and you don't, what can you do.

Repairers want to charge so much that the insurance companies deem it uneconomical to repair and even though it is a sought after car and not many around for sale they still only want to settle minimal amount.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

With a rare and sought after car you need to be getting Agreed Value insurance, they asses the vehicle based on your photos of it in most cases, maybe have a club official provide a valuation too and agree the figure for which it is insured. People make the mistake of undervaluing their cars in a vein hope of lower premiums, then find themselves out of pocket at crunch time.

Beware of the write off category, it might not be possible to repair,it will also devalue the car as it will show on the V5 and HPI register.

• 8 years ago

That's how insurance company's make "profits." Check out your state's insurance laws. You should be entitled to refuse their first offer if your vehicle was in excellent condition. Check the Kelly Blue Book listing of value for your car and go from there. You may be able to not accept their offer to "total" the car, and have it repaired for an amount that's close to the replacement value. Again, you must check your rights for the repair or replacement. Just be aware that if they end up "totaling" your car and you buy it back from the insurance company, it will have a "Salvage Title" from then on. That may or may not make a difference to a potential buyer in the future. No car dealer would accept it for a trade-in.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

You can let them write it off and then buy it back and repair it yourself if you think you can do it cheaper.

The car will have a Cat C or D mark against it though.

• ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

You don't have a choice. All you, or anyone, can do is negotiate the settlement upwards. Sought after or not you have to show them comparable examples that are on the market. In this case it will be difficult so you may not succeed and you will have to compromise.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Let them write it off, get the money off them then buy it back for very little and get the work done on the cheap

Also tell them what you want for it and be REALISTIC, when mine was written off i was offered £300 for it, i said no they are worth about 800-900 on autotrader/ebay, they went and checked, i ended up getting £860 + keeping my car and as it was only cosmetic i didnt even bother repairing it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.