Why does everything seem worse at night?

Sometimes I awake at 3 or 4 am and can't sleep for hours because I am worrying about a particular problem(s). But the next day the problems I had stressed about seem so small and insignificant and I had amplified them 10 times what I should. It's not that they are unimportant problems but that during the... show more Sometimes I awake at 3 or 4 am and can't sleep for hours because I am worrying about a particular problem(s). But the next day the problems I had stressed about seem so small and insignificant and I had amplified them 10 times what I should. It's not that they are unimportant problems but that during the night I attach a great and irrational urgency to them and even though I am aware now that I do it, it still happens. It even occurs before I go to bed sometimes, just watching TV or something but only at night.

I know I'm not the only one because I have heard many people tell me the same about them (without me mentioning that I do the same) and I think it is why a lot of people have insomnia. Lucky for me I only have once every 2 months or so for around a week.
Update: Daisy: I have sleeping pills but don't use everynight. One big reason is I usually can get to sleep ok, it's around 3 or 4am that I wake up and start worrying and sometimes even when I have taken a pill so I am 3 times as tired the next day. It's a gamble :) Similar to what some have said I think it... show more Daisy: I have sleeping pills but don't use everynight. One big reason is I usually can get to sleep ok, it's around 3 or 4am that I wake up and start worrying and sometimes even when I have taken a pill so I am 3 times as tired the next day. It's a gamble :)

Similar to what some have said I think it could have something to do with guilt of not doing something in the past and knowing that you are know powerless to do anything about it.