Can two people live off a Marines salary?

My boyfriend is about to graduate from his tech school and we wanted to get married and live ON BASE in California where he will be stationed. I would be working a part time job as well but we might have to live off his paycheck for a little bit until I find a job out there. I also wanted to take a class or two at a community collage to get my business management degree.

I also have some money saved up as well but I wanted to know if me and him would be able to live comfortably in on base housing mostly on his salary. And other things that I should know about?. Thanks :)

No children btw lol jus me nd him!

Thanks everybody! Y'all's answers are really helpful, ill defiantly need to talk to him about on base housing availability and a plan b if I don't find a job as well

Favorite Answer

On base is the driving assumption, here. Off-post, you will be living in pretty bad conditions on enlisted BAH if you can't get housing. As long as you're on post, you'll have what you need, but not a lot of extras on his salary. Whatever you can kick in will be the fun-budget - keep in mind that you might get stationed somewhere that it's hard to find a job.

My first duty station entailed me going to work from 0500-1900 M-F & usually getting called in on the weekend, making just enough money to go in debt if we went out to eat once per week, since she couldn't find a job.

What else you should know - get your education. Help him get his - make it an absolute priority. No matter what you do in life (in or out of the military) education gets you ahead. I know it will be hard, but it can be done - I finished a B.S. in under 4 years while active duty and am now in medical school 100% paid by the military.

Source(s): 10 years Active Duty
  • Mrsjvb

never depend on on base housing being an option. the waiting lists can be very long, especially for junior enlisted with no kids. BAH will not always cover all housing expenses, esp in CA where it's expensive at heck. the 'affordable' housing is often an hour or ore away from base, which means any savings is eaten up by gas prices.

if he is below E4 it will be HARD if you are not working full time as well. in fact it will suck royally til he's about an E5 and then only if you guys are very good about budgeting and do not spend money foolishly.

It's possible to "live" on it, but having a life is another thing.

You're best off getting a job, one to help pass the time when he's working or training, and two, to give you guys more income...

Just hope that the Base has Housing available

Source(s): U.S.Army Disabled Veteran 19K20 M1A1 Abrams Heavy MBT 1990-1996

As somebody has already mention base housing isn't always available so you would be wise to have a plan B.

As for living on a service members salary, its defiantly possible. You won't be living a life of luxury, you'll need to sacrifice some extra commodities but you can defiantly pull it off. Don't be one of those couples with iPhones, new cars and furniture but trying to apply for food stamps.

Daughter and Sil are living off base near Camp Pendleton right now.

They moved out there with 1 kid into base housing when he graduated boot camp.

They make a little but more money than living on base- of course when you're on base- you live in a well guarded gated community. *Which I keep telling her* So that when the EBT card stop working- you'll be safe from the ravaging hoards.

Plenty of couples manage it. It all comes down to your view on comfortable and how responsible you are financially. The other consideration is how quickly he'll make rank. I have no idea what the marines promotion schedule is, but any E3+ can live fairly well as long as you don't expect to drive a viper and eat out every night.

Depends on what rank he is. And you may want to check on that on base housing. Some parts of the military require you to be a certain rank to qualify for on base housing. So your best bet for all your questions, you should go down and ask the recruiter, he can answer all your question better than we can here.

You can't always count on base housing being available. Just saying, you might need to have a back-up plan.

If he's lower than E-5... it might be a bit difficult to have a cushy life..

Yes, but you'll have to cut some corners.