Why are plane tickets so expensive?

I got two issues 1) Why are tickets to major cities so expensive? Isn't business suppose to be booming there? Why would they need extra money? I priced a ticket to JFK and it was like $1000+, then I priced one to Canada and it was $400. How the hell can an international ticket be cheaper? Even a ticket to... show more I got two issues

1) Why are tickets to major cities so expensive? Isn't business suppose to be booming there? Why would they need extra money? I priced a ticket to JFK and it was like $1000+, then I priced one to Canada and it was $400. How the hell can an international ticket be cheaper? Even a ticket to Jamaica is like $500 round trip

2) Why are last minute tickets so expensive? Wouldn't they wanna fill those seats asap? What the point of exploiting people who are in desperate need simply to make a profit? I have to go to CA due to an emergency, the ticket was $475. When I finally found my credit cars and looked up the ticket again it jumped up to $1200 just because it leaves in 7 hours from now.
It just doesn't make any sense, why would they not wanna fill those 1 or 2 seats and sell them for a reasonable price?